Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Basic Black

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kotym, Jan 28, 2001.

1. kotym

kotym

Nov 26, 2000
    So Cal
    Anybody have any suggestions for a good replacement 15" speaker and tweeter for this thing?

Actually, anybody care to share their thoughts on their experience with this amp? I read the reviews of this amp on the Bass Gear Reviews website and, of course, all the owners were stoked about their amp. But who goes out and spends money on something only to curse it?

I would like to hear some objective opinions (hehehe) on this amp. I also would like to know where I can find the technical specs on this amp too - like how many ohms the extension cab should be and how many more watts do I get, if at all?

Thanks in advance,
    Koty

2. Why do you want to replace the speaker and tweeter? An ext. cab will need to be 8ohms. The extra wattage wont make much difference, but the extra air moved sure will.

3. kotym

kotym

Nov 26, 2000
    So Cal
    There's this strange buzzing sound coming from the 15" at certain volumes and certain notes. And I know it's the speaker because I pulled it out and I isolated the buzzing coming from the speaker. And the signal coming from the tweeter comes out distorted. Now I dunno if that's the tweeter or the driver for it in the amp. Either way, I was thinking of changing out the 15" for a heftier one, hence the request for suggestions. I read one guy who replaced his with a JBL.

ANyway, thanks for your info about the ext cab.

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    For speakers, I've heard good things about Eminience, JBL, Electro-Voice, and Bag End. I, personally, would go with the JBL or Eminience, as I like their tone the best. However, this will change depending upon the size of the cabinent, so YMMV. I read somewhere that EV quit making speakers, so if you find a good one for cheap you may want to grab it. EV was considered by many people to be the best makers of bass speakers, but again, YMMV. You'll need to get either exact specs or an exact replacement (from SWR) to properly determine exactly what speaker to replace yours with - anything else just comes down to guess and check. My guess is that the current speaker is either a Bag End or a PAS (Professional Audio Systems): either of which you could probably get direct from SWR as a replacement.

As for specs, check out http://www.swrsound.com

Hope this helped somewhat.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Your amp has a 12ax7 tube in the preamp section.If the amp is old and been played a lot,the tube may need replacing.

6. kotym

kotym

Nov 26, 2000
    So Cal
    A HA!!! Thank you Virtual! That was my next move. I have preamp tubes from other amps that I am now going to test for noise levels and microphonics. It's just that I haven't gotten around to lifting my spirits to unscrew all them screws yet ... I find that there are less screws to unscrew if you go thru the grill and the 15" to access the amp.