Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Basic Black

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Milton Sanders, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Is there any one who uses a basic black besides me and what do you think of the combo amp?

2. I bought one used and it worked fine. I didn't like the tone as much as my tube heads though. I thought that it was only good for small to medium gigs. I loved the tuner output and the XLR output. It was an easy amp to use when I needed a quick set-up and/or tear down. Perfect size for most weddings.

I used it quite a bit until it got rained on twice at outdoor gigs. Now the amp hums. I disconnected the amp and and use it as a 15" extension cab (which I might sell if someone is interested).

3. I used a Basic Black with a matching Basic 2-Way extension cabinet for years.

Loud for 120/160 watts.

Great tone.

Completely blows away comparable SWR Workingman's tone.

Count Bassie likes this.
  4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wasn't it also quite a bit more costly than the WM's? I may be wrong. I never cared much for the tone of the basic black myself.

brad cook

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play a Basic Black at church. Paid $699 new for it, back when they were still in production.

Great sounding little combo. Handles the low B very well(if you play 5 or 6) and has a crisp, modern sound.

6. Old thread, but I know someone looking for this stack... so I'll use the opportunity to chiome in about it- I dig this little stack/combo and use it too. Agreed that for 160 watts it's very present and sounds great. I even did a reggae gig a few weeks ago with them stacked up the long way, and with a boost from the PA I got stage sound and FOH sound. Very nice.