Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Bass 350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybass, Mar 4, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey guys, I'm looking to start building a rig to replace my lackluster combo amp, and I recently saw an SWR Bass 350 for $500, slightly used. Good deal? Also, what are your thoughts on the amp? I personally like the SWR tone, but how versatile is it really? Also, how would it sound through a Bag End 2x10 w/tweeter(specifically how well will it reproduce my low B string)? Any help is greatly appreciated... I don't have the experience of some of you amp gods around here. Thanks again.

2. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi IPB...
    I have the SWR 350 and play through an 8-ohm SWR 2x10 for smaller venues. As far as I'm concerned, the thing sounds great. I can't comment on how the BagEnd cabinet will reproduce your B-string, but I get great compliments on my B-string through the SWR 2x10. You'll have to let your own ears be your guide. Of course, the quality of your bass will dictate how the B sounds too. The SWR doesn't colour (Canadian spelling, eh!) the sound of the bass too much. TBers who don't prefer SWR sometimes complain about the sound being too sterile, or clean. Depends on what type of sound you enjoy and what type of music you want to play, I guess.

The price sounds about right for a slightly used 350. I bought mine new for $995 (Canadian dollars). Not sure what list price is for new in the US, but the exchange rate tells me you're in the ballpark. There's only 1 tube to be replaced if it needs it, and that won't cost too much.

Good luck IPB....

3. The Bass 350 is a sweet amp! I have played through it and the 750. Both sound the same, but with more power. I love the sound you get, and all the controls. It's also very simple to use. Plus it looks freakin cool! :D

I am actually getting the bass 750x when it is released in April. So I cant wait!!

BTW 500 is a good deal for that head......jump on it!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you intend to exclusively work in very small rooms, it's a good choice. But, of course, the amp doesn't have much headroom and in a bigger room, will run out of gas pretty quick. I like (and own) the Bass 750 and use it often to drive a Triad I. Nice sound, good headroom. I prefer a clean amp, in general, that lets the sound of the instrument be heard rather than coloring the sound. SWR amps are not "fat," "warm" or "creamy," however. If that's what you want, look elsewhere. I would characterize the SWR sound as clean and transparent that can border on brittle in the upper register with the wrong cab/eq/instrument. Good luck.

5. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    500 Bones U.S. is not a good deal! I sold mine for 430 last summer and that was top dollar back then. For the older red face models 300-400 is about right if they are in excellent condition, 450 is about right for an excellent condition crome face model. If you like the hi/fi SWR sound and play in a decently loud group, please do yourself a favor and look for a 750. Same tone as the 350 but with a bigger power amp in it. plus it has a speaker stand by switch which comes in handy.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Totally agree.

7. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...also agree !

SWR 350's generally go for about $350 ......

Great little amp !!

PJR

8. check ebay!

there is usually around 2 or 3 350s on there

9. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I concur with this assessment of the tone, based on my experience with this amp. I don't own one, but have played through several in gig situations. I found the active preamp on my five-string warmed up the tone some.

10. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i just recently bought a swr pro 350 and a S.O.B. and a glioth III jr. i think it it's a wonderful amp and boy is it plenty loud.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I just bought one for $300, which is low. But I see them on ebay a lot going for $400. So at $500, it better be pretty darn new.

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [and I recently saw an SWR Bass 350 for $500, slightly used. Good deal?

FWIW I have 350 for sale. It's in excellent condition and comes in a rack. I can save you significant dollars. Drop me an e mail if you're interested.

[I personally like the SWR tone, but how versatile is it really?

I happen to love the SWR sound. I think the 350 has a wonderful range of tones.

[how would it sound through a Bag End 2x10 w/tweeter(specifically how well will it reproduce my low B string)?

I don't know. I've heard nothing but good things about BE.

13. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I used to have an SWR 350, but I sold it and got a GK 700RB (also 350 watts or so). To me it's louder, more efficient and has more high end (and low end for that matter).