Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Bass 750 or 750x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Apr 28, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Would you go for the SWR 750 head which I've located for 650.00 or would you save up all the way for an 750x. I'm not sure which to go with!

~Patrick

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If you don't need the effects get the 750. It's a great amp with the pre amp section of the Redhead with great power. On one thread someone said they didn't see why you have to crank it for volume. Well I myself am tired of amps that sound great at 2 or 3 and have nothing or distortion after 5. My 750 through one or two Goliath IIIs just roars and when cranked up 3/4 of the way is clean and responds to hand dynamics requiring clear boom or grind. Get a 750 that has the fan in it. Only the earlier ones came without fans.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    THe effects on it are not necessary as I will have Sansamp RBI and a Boss SE 50, also with my rack, I'm looking for one with rear rails so I can add a fan or two. Crap. I may need to power conditioners.

~Patrick

4. You don't need the "X" version.

I don't know why SWR has to go all gimmicky.

Prolly to attract the kids.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm set...Bass 750. Now I just need some money for it....Woah. I remember playing the Redhead at Mars over a year ago....it was amazing....and with that preamp...holy cow....must breathe......

~Patrick

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have a 750x and I agree with DD. If you won't use the effects, save some cash and go with the 750. I play blues in a power trio and am expected to play simple, loud and in the pocket so I'm never going to use the distortion. I don't like the way it sounds anyway, just MHO. The subwave sounds like it is good quality (cool tones), but it sure isn't something I use a lot. But thats probably just me. That said, I like the amp so far, but I'm learning it takes a bit of dialing in to get the best out of it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Taking the wheels off of the speakers so they sit on the floor has made a significant difference, at least to the guitar player!:rolleyes: :D

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If your bass is powerful, a secret of SWRs is that you keep the EQ flat and use your fingers then your bass's EQ. The amp and cab will express the changes instantly. Only thing I might cut is a little treble.