SWR Bass 750 or SM-400s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philthy, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I'm thinking of getting rid of my present bass 350 head and getting something with a more power, punch and bottom to drive a Goliath III (4x10) and a S.O.B. (1x15). Any suggestions?
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    SWR SM-400s. GREAT Amp!!
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    SM-900 :D

The SM-400 isn't going have much more oomph than the 350 you have now. If you buy new, you'll be getting an SM-500, which does have a bit more juice, but I'd suggest that you step on up to the 750x or SM-900 to really push that speaker combo.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Like I said...the BASS 750x will rock your Goliath and Son of Bertha cabs...go for it man!
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm an avid SWR user...I tried out one of the 750's the other day with my Goliath III 4x10 and Big Bertha 2x15...
    I'm glad I have double paned windows...it's an unstoppable beast. If I had the money the 750 is definately where I would put it. The tone is really great in my opinion as well. Probably the best I have heard compared with the IOD/older Gran Prix.
  6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    i just upgraded to the 750x and a Goliath III 4x10 cab. It does sound good and loud (no distortion when S&P'ing). I'm happy with it (not cheap), but I haven't used a second cabinet with it yet to get all 750 watts out of it. It seems that i have to set the main volume control to about 3 o'clock and the pre to about 1 o'clock and then i have a level that I can use in the band. Turning up the pre from this pint makes is get much louder very quickly. I had this same situation with the Redhead, which i upgraded from. I don't know if I'm using the amp correctly but it seems odd that I have to turn it up so much to get the volume out of it. I do like the sound though and the SWR features, (tuner send, speaker on/off switch, horn attenuator, etc..). It's a pro rig and should serve well in almost any situation.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I liked the 750 very much when I owned one. Sold it earlier this year. Loud and clean. Never heard a 750x. The 400 is not in the same class but offers more versatility and eq.
  8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    If you looking primarily for headroom, then the 750 is the way to go. However, I prefer the 400S because of the extra features that Boogie mentioned. It can be bi-amped (w/variable electronic X-over) and bridged (500 Watts). I do prefer the parallel effects loop on the 750 (effects blend) but I don't use many effects so no real factor to me.
    I've played the 400S bridged through a 4-10 many times and it sounds great!
  9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Bridged mono 400s.