Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Bass Monitor 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainpabst, Jul 23, 2001.

1. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    hi all

i know SWR just discontinued the bass monitor 12. but while you can still get one (musician's friend still has them listed), i've been thinking about jumping at the opportunity.

the unit is a bag end 12" woofer with a le son piezo tweeter in a monitor wedge box. mf sells them for $350.

i currently own an swr bass 750 and 8x8 cab. i've been keeping my eyes open for a suitable (and affordable) smaller cab to use for musicals (orchestra pit stuff). this cab seems like it would do the trick -

1) it's 8 ohms and my 8x8 is 4. both together present a 2.67 ohm load - that's precisely as low as the amp is rated to go, so it'd be no problem using both cabs together.

2) it'd play plenty loud enuf (especially with 450 watts - bass 750 rating at 8 ohms - behind it) for orchestra pit stuff, or other small gigs.

3) i imagine it'd be useful live in a larger setting, used in conjuntion with the 8x8. i figured i could put it behind our drummer, or right in front of me - whatever. it would also be nice for practicing.

anyway, i was wondering if anyone has had much experience with this cab, and if you think it would be suitable for what i described above. i'm wondering if that wedge box shape lessens the low frequency response...at the school where i work, we recently got new carvin 15" monitors. they don't sound all that full. well, all responses are appreciated. thanx.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    Noone has any experience with a monitor 12?? :(