1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Bass Monitor 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bmc, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Anyone have any experience with these? Toying with getting one for smaller rooms.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I own a pair. With my swr bass 350/750, I got good mid-highs but not much low end. This cab did match up well, with a big ben. I dont think this enclosure, is the best design, for a stand alone bass cab.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I also owned a pair. light, decent volume, not tons of lows, but low enough for most uses. stupidly I tried to stack them, but they aren't real stable. tweeter was a little too hot for me, kinda hard sounding, but there is a tweeter control.

overall I'd rate them a 7 out of 10. I thought I made a thorough review, but I can't find it. here is a link to other reviews http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/SWR/Bass_Monitor_12_Cabinet-1.html they're nice to have around for smaller gig or monitor in front of you , but I didn't use it that way much and eventually sold them for about $275 ea.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks guys.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Played one the other day. I'll echo the responses here - a solid cabinet, but there are surely better ones on the market today that do the same job but better.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was gonna say in my other response I like my aguilars better except for the extra 10 LBS :meh: each.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    With a pinched nerve in my back and tendinitis in my left arm, my 1-15 SWR cab is a heavy painful experience. I love the cab. I just don't need it for a lot of gigs. I might go the Flitesound route at 4ohms to milk all 450 watts out of my Markbass head, giving me headroom, portability and lightness. The thought of a 1-12 is appealing. The appeal of lugging many cabs diminishes with age.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The new Schroeder Mini (12") is only 21 Lbs, 400w, 4 or 8 ohms!!

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/lt-minibox.htm

[​IMG]

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've been looking at that, you know. It's a debate between two cabs for different applications or go with one light 4ohm box to do all.

I have to say that I've found a winner with the SWR Basic 2-way. Smash speaks highly of that cab as well. Bit of a sleeper cab in terms of popularity yet it's great.

I've learned over the years to sleep on it. Many times. Before taking the plunge.

But...that Schroeder box really does looking inviting. Thanks for reminding me.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you're looking for a wedge monitor, check out the Eden 2x10 version. I've always wanted one of those ... in challenging rooms that have PA, thats the only way to fly (I just kick my 210XLT back so its pointing up at my head).

On bigger stages I've often wished that I could throw a dedicated bass monitor up by my mic for my monitoring, and have a regular cab for the rest of the band to listen to.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It's a weight thing due to pinched nerve that makes lifting a challenge these days. It's not necessarily a wedge that I'm looking for. It's a small lightweight cab for smaller gigs. There's a strong likely hood I'd but it stateside and ship it over. Not cheap. So buying used is a consideration.

cheers

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oh, in that case, there are TONS of great 1x12s around these days. Aguilar, Epifani, Berganitno, Eden ... you name it. Any of those would probably be better (more lows, more power handling) than that SWR cab.

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My guitarist has been giging, (for years) with one of my SWR Bass Monitor 12s, as a dirty, beritone-guitar cab. He plays 2 amps. stage left, SWR mon 12 / Mesa studio pre / Prehistoric 20w rouland tube p/a head-(next to me). Stage right is a very clean 135w sf twin-reverb. The SWR kills with this setup. (horn off) The weak bass response of this cab, keeps him out of "my sonic space", when he's playing, the beritone. These cabs sound fair, as a vocal monitor, We use my other monitor 12, for a sterio keyboard setup-(on my side again). This cab also keeps "his lows" out of my, stage space. With this cab on its side, a rack fits good. With the right speaker cables and instaling some, little rubber feet,(hardware store) these cabs will stack fine.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That is an excellent description and I really understand what you're syaing. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.