1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Bass350 vs Hartke 3500 Transient Attack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sharko, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    In my search for a nearby deal (< $250) to power an avatar neo cab I came across these 2 comparable 350 watt hybrids:
    SWR bass 350 (red-face version)
    Hartke 3500 (black transient attack version)

I dig the SWR's reputation for quality and simpler EQ. On the other hand, I like the price on the Hartke ($99) and could use the leftover cash for a rack case, but I don't love its graphic EQ or the 80's-tastic look (but the point aint to look at it) or the number of people on TB who have mentioned the Hartke having cold soldered joints that give them trouble.

Anyone have a compelling argument for one vs the other?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not me. I like the SWR slightly better but I'd be tempted by the Hartke at that price.

3. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, there are so many to choose from, I just keep going back to that price tag and and gawking.

4. That price for the Hartke is vry nice ...

That graphic Eq can't be really a problem ... normally you can bypass it and use the 2
    EQ-knobs

5. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Oh, I hadn't noticed it before, you're right there's a switch to bypass the graphic EQ, cool

6. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    So when trying to demo the Hartke it fails to power up with much stammering of "oh, this USED to work" from the Guitar Center staff

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've always liked that particular SWR head - Easy to use, simple layout, good tone.

I've not heard much good about Hartke amps, but I've never actually fired one up. I owned a Hartke cab years ago, and it was nice...

I'd go SWR. But that's me.

8. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    and the SWR sold this AM... well crap

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's more where that came from. It's a buyer's market right now.