Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR bassic black with no logo on the 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass64, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jazzbass64

jazzbass64

Jan 8, 2006
    Hello,
    I know that the swr bassic black (2 "s") are the first version from 92 of the basic black combo.Some minor differences exists (like no headphones jack and cosmetic changes).Well I have seen a used one that can interest me but the SWR logo is not present on the center of the speaker.To me the 15have been repaired or replaced... .
    Well, do someone have good sources to tell that some bassic black although original do not have the logo ?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    you could ask swr.

I don't think they started labelling the speakers until late 90's.

cool thing about the basic black is it IS NOT in the league of the workingman series. Its more in league with the baby blue and other pro-line swr. its got alotta juice too, 350 I think?

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The Basic Black was made between 1992 and 1998. It was in the professional line of SWR. I have the extension cab and it was made in 1996. It has the labeled speaker.

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i think the bassic black is 120/160 watts like the first WM generation. tube preamp, though. 120 is enough for the 15" anyway.

5. dave47

dave47

Mar 17, 2006
    I have A Bassic Black. I got it when it first came out. It came with the swr on the cone. I tried to sell it years ago and I'm very happy it didn't sell. Hope this helped.

6. I also bought a Basic Black about 1995. It has the label on the speaker. I gave it to my stepson, who still has it. I just repaired it recently after one of his friends overdrove it and fried the output transistors. Good thing SWR provided schematics (via email).

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There are a couple of local music stores that still have them on the floor unsold from the 90's. There is an extension cab in one store in Geneva still priced at around USD900, despite the series stopping production in 1998. Then again, the Swiss have an interesting view on unusual concepts such as inventory and cash flow.:confused:

8. Can you get a picture of the back of the speaker posted? If so, I can compare it to my stepson's to see if at least the back of the speaker looks the same. Then it's probably a recone. Otherwise, a replacement. You have to unscrew all the screws along the edge of the metal amp chassis and take it off to see the back of the speaker.