Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Better than MESA/BOOGIE???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 7, 2004.

1. Well after my mesa amp test (600w combo) the other day i just had to go check out some more amps and today i came up to a rig that just made me melt....

SWR Workingmans 8004 T/O/P
    SWR Goliath III

My kubicki sounded so sweet through it and it cost less than the mesa by about $500aus, and i also wanna try that head with the triad cab and a acme b4, but what worries me is the 'Fender' Tick of approval on the back of it

so have any of you bought some fender/swr gear? and no problems or problems?

2. i read alot of things on the fender thing. swr posted on their forum saying they havent changed anything. they still have most of the old employees that work there and fender has been leaving them alone design wise. so id imagine that there would be practically no difference besides the date of the amp if you compare before fender and after.

3. I was at a 'clinic/demo' at NAMM 2002, where Rocco Prestia was debuting his T/O/P head and 8x10 through his signature Conklin. I was about 2 meters away from him while he played. After the awe of being close to an idol waned, I really started to listen to the amp, and I was very impressed. Full, round tone with punch and depth. Pretty uncharacteristic of SWR, actually. Through a solid Goliath III, I think that head would kick.

4. what really had me shocked was that it sounded perfect just running the eq flat, its really the first amp ive really pluged my kubicki into with a flat eq and had such a good sound straight away...im really impressed, i was also talking to one of my mates that works there and he's gonna sell one of his amps, a tube power amp (cant remember what kind) but at any 2,4,8 and 16ohm its always 250w per side (2ch, not bridgeable) with an ampeg svt preamp for $1500, im gonna try it out but i think it might be wiser to spend the extra $600 and get the SWR T/O/P, dunno yet

5. I'm biased, but given the choice between a 250w/side Tube power amp/Tube Preamp and an SWR WM8004, I would definitely go with the pre/power amp configuration. If, after a year or so, you don't like the preamp, you could always switch it out. Same with the power amp. If you get the head, you're stuck with the sound and the available power and you'd have to upgrade both to get anywhere.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Dunno about you but you're comparing a combo 1x12 or 1x15 to a stack 4x10 stack.

7. im was comparing the Mesa/Boogie M-pulse venture 2x10 combo to a SWR Workingmans 8004 with a Goliath III, and ill be testing the Ampeg pre + Power amp with the Goliath III