1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Big Ben 118

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Apr 27, 2009.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Hey I was wondering what you guys can tell me about this cab. I an Currently Running an SWR Goliath III 410 and SOB 115 and i am just not getting any bottom end out of the SOB. My 410 has great bottom end but the 115 just wimps out....so i was looking at getting the big Ben instead.... and was just wondering how it would handle the low B....I want something that is going to make that low b felt all over the room not just on stage.... And I was Also wondering what it means when it say 2W1M and and what it means when it say -6db@25 Hz...how does that compare to something that is rated -3db @ x amounts of Hz. Thankx I hope some one out there can help.:confused:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Matching cabs sound best. Get a 2nd 4x10" like the one you already have and leave the seismic stuff to your sound man.

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Yeah I have Been Looking at Getting another 410...but hell they have gotten bloody $$$$ I payed $880 for mine brand new about 2 years ago and now there are over $1200...Which really sucks!!

4. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Please try to be patient and get the right matching cab for your rig to avoid the phasing problems which often result from using dissimilar cabs.

Have you checked the classified section on TalkBass for a used 4x10" cab which matches yours? TB is one of the safest sources of used bass gear one will find.

5. Well, if you have PA help consistently, I would agree wholeheartedly wit statement above. But, if you, like me, are asked to fill a room wit bass on your own most of the time, well, I can say the Big Ben 18 cab will do it. I just got one, after havin a similar issue as you. Was usin a Goliath III 4x10, and a Goliath Jr. III, and though could be heard, I wanted to be felt. Now, the particulars of the science of the cab, though useful, really are just a bunch of numbers, and if you get caught up in them, without usin your ears, they just that, a bunch of numbers. I would think that you would get a ton of lows from the SOB. Are you placin it on the ground?, or on wheels? The 18, is HUGE sounding, but reqires a lot of power to get movin the kind of air you're talkin about. Most cabs tested at a distance of 1w@1m, at a certain frequency, to measure the decibel output of the speaker. The 18 being tested at 2w@1m, means it needed twice the power to be measured at a reasonable level. The -6dB at 25hz means that if it put out 100dB at 2w@1m (two watts at one meter), at a specific frequency, then it would put out 3dB less at 25 hz than it did at the flat tested frequency. All that tough to digest. A better explanation is this, when I turn up the bass knob on my Ken Smith 6, which is set at a frequency of about 30hz, I can hear a difference through the 18, but not through my 4x10, which only responds down to 40hz or so. The 4x10 is a 700 watt cabinet, the 18 is a 400w cab. About 1100 watts total. To get the speakers moving consistently, I usually add about 30% more power than the speakers ask for, to keep the head I'm usin from being on ten, thus usin up all it's headroom and makin the speakers fart through power amp clipping. When tryin to fill a room with sub lows, you need a ton of power. I'm barely close enough with my SM-900 bridged through this cab setup, but I can say for certainty the 18 is much more full and present than 15 cabs I've used. But, like I say, you need power for it. What kind of head you're usin is really important, and if you increased the power from your head, you might find the 15 is fine. But, if you wanna go low, ain't NOTHIN like this Big Ben. I can explain in further detail about these numbers, I gave a quick reference above. The science of dBs is extensive, and I'm sure others here can help, too. But trust your ears, and turn up the bass knob to see where your cabs respond. Then, try a more powerful head. Your cabs askin for a lot of power, 1050w, do you have that?

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Yeah No Unfortunately I only have have about 540 watts i have been looking at upgrading my head to the gk1001rb mk II which is 700 watts which might help alot. as it is i am not running my head wide open right now anyways cause it would blow everyone off the stage..lol. And My Problem is not bass on the stage cause on stage man that b string shakes.... but i am finding when i get off stage not very far just to see what it sounds like it seams to just wimp out...but maybe it is because i am not getting far enough back cause at about 30 feet off the stage it seams really tinny... and i have my bass eq cranked.... So i dont know i can only afford to do 1 of the 2 things right now ether get the new head at 700 watts or the bigger speaker..... i think i am kinda leaning to the bigger power in the head at the moment. cause ass it is the set up i have has a rms rating of 1050watts so i am only half of what it can even handle nicely... and if like you said the 18 will take up just that much more power the i should hold off on that until i can afford a head with around 1200 watts.... I guess a guy has to have dreams to live for...lol But yeah hey thatx for all your advise it was very confusing but helpful....lol Cheers Mate!!!

7. Well, listen. I don't want you be confused. That why said this just an entry into the science, and that your ears will tell you more than addin any numbers. And I don't know all about your playin situation. So Don't jump too hard into anythin til we talk more. It's taken me YEARS to figure all this out, and I'm still a baby learnin to swim. MIJ-VI made great points about phase cancellation, but I see these 4x10 over 15 rigs in pro situations, and they're used by many great players. As far as expense goes, I got my Goliath III 4x10 for $250 USD used, the Big Ben for the same, as well as the Goliath Jr. III. There are deals to be had. Here and elsewhere. You playin big rooms if you able to go thirty feet out and listen, so yeah, power a must! But gettin the right cabs for you is the most important thing, and I do believe you on right track. PM me any time, or call. This is what I do for a living, and givin advice from my experience is just me payin back the knowledge was given me by others.

8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    interesting, I run a similar rig
    the BigBen plus a D410T (essentially a Goliath I)

That 18" needs lots of power to get going, but it sound oh so nice. And the fact that the BB is only available in 8 ohm do little to help the equation

Depending on whether your 410 is 8 or 4 ohm,
    your head will need to push out
    800w @ 4 ohm or
    1200w @ 2.6 ohm
    to fully utilize the capability of the BigBen
    (no under power here, that's misnomer...)

if you don't have that power,
    you won't notice a big difference changing from SOB to BB
    and you will just be carrying a bigger box,
    still looks cool, mind you

btw, have you done the 9V test on the two cabs that you already have?

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    wait a minute, are you say you got the Big Ben AND the Goliath Jr. III for $250??? God, that is just killing me; this has to be illegal here :eyebrow: I thought my BB for $300 was a good deal ...

10. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Say canadian*eh...

Here's a cheap way to experiment with getting heavy lows for your rig.

Go to Long & McQuades and rent a powered sub woofer for a gig or two so that you and your band mates can evaluate the usefulness of turning your bass rig into a means of conducting avalanche control for ski resorts. :eek:

:)

11. OOOOOOH... Powered subs. Man, you messin wit one of those, now that's the way! I have never used one, not in my bass rig, but in my band's PA system used them tons. They heavy, but usually on wheels. Heh, and there are lots of choices from different companies. That is a great suggestion. And no, I got the cabs fro $250 each, $750 total for three cabs. One reason I like Markbass and some of the other, newer Class D amps and "boutique" gear is that the older stuff, be it SWR, Eden, Mesa and the like, gets thrown on the used market here like you wouldn't believe. I've got connections at stores here, and get deals thrown my way that I can't refuse. So I don't. But, all I'm sayin is that GOOD gear is out there cheap, at least around here. And that you don't have to spend a lot of cash for a good rig if you spend a little time lookin around. Classifieds here at talk bass, Pawn Shops, Flea Markets. Do a bit of research, know what you need and how to tell if stuff is in good condition and works, and don't get lost in numbers. Use your ears. Folks round my town say you can't use SWR gear for heavy, that it's unreliable and overheats. In 25 years of playin pro and semi pro gigs, never had a failure. It's all in how you use it. Those same folks askin me how I get my sound now. My love for the tone of SWR gear is reason. If you love Ampeg, cool. GK, WAY cool. Heh. It's all in the love.

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Well Hey Thankx guys for all the help... I think what i am going to do is upgrade my head to at least 700 watts seeing that i am running 2 8 ohm cabs i will be getting 350 watts to my 15 which is what it is rated for so it will help me get the most out of the cab.... and then hey if i want a sub i can look into the powered ones....but yeah hey at least i have lots of options open to me... Really appreciate all the help and hey Nameless i will for sure get ahold of you and pick your brain more when it comes time to make the purchases. Cheers Mate!!

13. My actual name is David, write any time. Luck to ya!

14. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    The Big Ben is an amazing cab. Paired it with a workingpro 410 for a while, with very good results. I am 100% sure that a Big Ben with a Goliath III (8 ohms) would sound HUGE.

15. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Another vote for the BB for extra bass. When I've used my BB at rehearsal with a P-bass my bandmates comment it's like 'wading' through bass when you walk around the rehearsal room. Live I've used the BB + Bigfoot (2x12") stacked on top - it sounded pretty good to me, and had enough volume to spare.

That said, live you might not want a pile of bottom end, however it's better to have the capability of huge bottom end, and be able to dial it back with EQ, then not have the option in the first place.