Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Big Ben 1x18 Users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fourbin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Found a guy that lives right by me with a Big Ben for a great price. I'm using a Goliath III right now and was planning on getting a Son of Bertha. Since this Ben is in such good condition I'm thinking on springing on it.

Thing is I've never played one and I won't really be able to until I buy it as he's packing his house up and moving out of town... What do you guys think of this thing? Does it have enough clarity (hopefully it will with the 4x10) or is it WAY too muddy? Think I should jump on it?

Thanks...

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I enjoyed my Big Ben when I owned one. Often used it with the Goliath III, in fact. It's very fast for an 18. No, I didn't find it to be particularly muddy at all. Rather flat, I'd say. And surprisingly punchy. On a par with many 15's, in fact. Good cab. Never cared for it alone, however.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've only played through one once, and it was a modded one with a tweeter, but it sounded wonderful, so good in fact i wrote swr asking them about it. i was very surprised at how even sounding it was, not low and boomy, and i don't recall a drop off in the mids and highs (of course, like i said, it had a tweet, so that might have helped). i'd say give it a shot, it's probably more of a good thing (than a 15) :bassist: