1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Big Bertha or Avatar 410 Basslite Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by p12bassnut, Oct 21, 2013.

1. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Be wierd Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Looking for a cab that I can use for small outdoor gigs.
    Either a used SWR Big Bertha or a new Avatar 410 Basslite Neo
    Each I can buy for $450.00 Each is 4ohms which is my preference.
    What are your thoughts ?
    Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Big Bertha is a 2x15? I'd play both, and choose using my ears.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'd forget the SWR right off, too clunky. I would consider the Avatar B212 loaded with NEO's over the 410 also. Less expensive, easier to move and better sounding to my ears. Plenty of OOMPH with the right amp. If your choice is strictly between the two, I'd go with the Avatar but it better be in perfect shape (if used) because you can get a new B212 for that much.

:bassist:

4. p12bassnut

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Thanks for the responses,
    I have 2- Berg 1x12 cabs but I'm not sure they will have enough punch for the outdoor thing.
    This is why I was looking at something that moves more air.
    -Dave at Avatar is having a special on the 410 Neo for 449 shipping included. (this has the Basslite Neo's version not the Delta 2510 Neo's)

Using a MarkBass LMIII Amp

What are your thoughts ?

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    SWR cabs are some of my favorites, and if you want punch then they're the ticket. Avatars are alright, but I've yet to hear one that made me want to buy one.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If those Basslites are stock spec eminences, that's a great deal for 4 of them in a box. If they're an OEM version something like they did with the Deltalites (make them into a bit more of an LF version)...meh, I'd have to hear them first. When they did that to the Deltalite 12 platform, I didn't like what it did to their topend, but they do work nice when biamped to something else for highs.

7. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I never liked the Big Bertha... SWR never made many of them and haven't made many for a long time. So the speakers are likely older and likely driven harder than a newer 410 with more speakers that likely has less abuse...not always the case.

Just for the dollars to what you are paying for I would go Avatar...It will likely be louder as well. Louder with tone that's not perfect is still better than better tone that one can not hear.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    FWIW, I used a pair of 12's I made, formerly with Deltalites and now with my old, discontinued Carvin PS12 B's, which is a sort of a quasi-LF version of their older eminence sourced PS12's. Those are probably more similar in loudness to your Berg's if yours aren't neos. While they won't carry an outdoor gig on their own, unless it's something small like a patio/courtyard or country club gig, they do keep a pretty full sound on a fairly good sized stage.

I'd probably give your Berg's a shot first and see how much you're lacking, if anything. That'd give you a better idea of how much of a step up in output you need, if any.

9. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    I have both of these cabs. I used the Big Bertha for a year or so, then fell into a really good deal on the Avatar. Since it's neo, the ease on moving it convinced me to use it over about 2 years of gigs. I was using it with a LMII. It sounded good and went plenty loud, but I could never get the right punch with it.

I wound up getting a Ampeg used 8x10 and a new SVT-7. That combo really rocks, but there's a few gigs here that are tough to get a 8x10 into.

I had been bringing the Avatar out to these gigs, but again, I wasn't really digging it even with the SVT-7. Then, I dug the Big Bertha out of the garage with the intention of putting it up on CL. I plugged it in to check it out and really liked it with the SVT-7. I've used the BB for my last ten gigs or so and now it's NOT going on CL, and I'm thinking the Avatar and possibly the 8x10 are.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  10. p12bassnut

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Ok thanks for the responses.
    Another question...
    Which would have more punch:
    Considering the same brand :
    2 - seperate 1x12 cabs or
    1 - 2x12 cab ?