Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Bigfoot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 28, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone played it? Do you have specs? How does it sound compared to other "famous" cabs?
    I foud one used for $400. Is that a good price?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I remember some threads with the Bigfoot mentioned (in a positive way ;)), I guess a search will give you some results...

Matthias

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello Matthias!
    Here we are again discussing those 2x12´s.:D
    I did the search and found some info. There was one thread where you mentioned the silverado combo (which has the same speakers, I think). How does that one sound?

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I tried to lift it before I plugged in - then I didn't even try it... :D
    Sorry that I can't help here.

BTW: Did you know that there is a brand new 212 by EBS!? It isn't on their homepage yet but I've heard it has been presented in Frankfurt.

Matthias

5. I used to have a Bigfoot. I still have the speakers stored away somewhere. I had it sitting on castors in the back of a van enroute to a gig, and the van doors came open. Bye bye Bigfoot. The speakers survived just fine, but the cab was a writeoff. One day I'll build a new cab for them.
    It was a very good, loud cab (4 ohms, 500 watts) with Bag End drivers, and had heaps of bottom and nicely voiced mids. The SWR agent at the time recalled all the Big feet (?) he had sold, and coated the backs of all the driver cones with some sort of epoxy to make them stiffer. Made no difference to the sound, but he reckoned it would stop them tearing themselves apart.
    The only reason I have'nt got around to rebuilding it, is the fact that I now have an SWR 4x8, which is the best sounding cab I've ever played, even on the B string. I throw an SWR 1x15 under it for bigger gigs, but seldom need it.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    bump;)
    Need more info cause Im checking it out in 15 hours.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    SWR keeps info on all their vintage products on their website. www.swrsound.com

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i have the silverado special combo..

i love it. great low end and clarity. many are turning to 2x12"s these days.. the twelves are faster than a fifteen with high end response almost like a ten.

9. bassiss371

bassiss371

Jun 3, 2011
    Well I bought this cab it had blown bag ends and i threw eminence ones in brought the ohms to 8 to add another cab later. But man i should have left it at 4 ohms this cab rocks, funks whatever... loe plain n simple