Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Black Beauty?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Feb 6, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, anyone else notice the SWR ad at the bottom of the screen for the SWR Black Beauty? 350 watts for a 1x15" combo! Awesome! Though I clicked on the link and it took me to the SWR website, I didn't find any new info on it - anyone got the lowdown?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah it sounds very very cool - depending on how expensive it is.

it SHOULD be cheaper than the silverado special, so i'd guesstimate...700 in stores?

any word on the workingman's power yet? not that i want one, but i'm just curious ;)

jason

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hehehe, actually I was wondering that too. Seems like SWR should be getting all this info up here before too long though, right? Though, like you, I'm not really interested in the Workingman's Power - just curious. I like to keep up on what the offerings are.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's the long threatened replacement for the (lower powered) Basic Black. Yeah, no info on it at thw web site (DUMB! post a link to it here at TB that leads you to a site with no info, sheesh).

I would anticipate it being a Redhead/Silverado style head coupled to a Son of Bertha cabinet.

They've also reissued the Baby Blue but changed from 2-8" speakers to 1-10", probably aiming at URB players with that one.

5. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I sent an email to them a week ago asking about namm updates, they just sent it back to me and said next week the site will have the updated product info. I cant wait to see if the 2x12 are coming back.

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I played all the new SWR stuff at the NAAM show.The 4-12 and 2-12's sound cool if you like a lot of midrange and aren't going for that scooped sound. They are front ported with a rear loaded horn and burgundy tolex with a black grill.The Black Beauty sounded good,but like Brianrost said it's just a 350 through a Son of Bertha and it lists for $1499.They also have new versions of the 350 and 750 called 350x and 750x.The only difference is the 350x has a Subwave Generator and the 750x has Subwave and Overdrive.One of the coolest things they had was a 750 watt Workingmans 8004 head that was designed to go with the Workingmans 8-10.It has 5-bandEQ,Effects blend,XLR mute,Headphone out,Sidechain effects loop,Xlr and 1/4-inch out,preamp out-poweramp input,speakon and 1/4 inch output jacks and lists at $1299.Oh yeah it sounded really good too.I'm done now.

7. It makes you wonder how the bass world existed without the Subwave Generator technology gimmimic.

8. What does the subwave thingy do??

9. It's an octiver, isn't it?

10. what does ashdown's "magnifier" do?

Sorry if i'm being a pain guys, but I have no clue what this effect is. the only gear that's sold aroun my area is Crate, Ampeg and swr's workingmans series, so i haven't had a chance to audition any high-end bass amps with all those extra bells and whistles.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's like an octaver. it makes an octave lower than what you're playing.

and it's exactly that - extra bells and whistles. but i suppose people want a mo bass for cheaper - so they made these. i'm sure people will buy them, so who am i to think it's a stupid idea. besides, i've already got all the SWR stuff i need - with NO extra bells and whistles.

jason

12. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    unless SWR is changing the grills on the 2x10 and 4x10 to match the 2x12 and 4x12 then I want no part of the new SWR. That reminds me some online stores are starting to cut the cost of the SWR cab still in stock. So I bet they are coming out with new grills and coverings for all the pro cabs.

13. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    All their cabs are gonna be covered in ox blood tolex?

Huh.

That's quite a departure from the ultra-modern black and chrome scheme they have now.

14. I really like the grill/cloth scheme right now. It's very classy imo. It reminds me of my Cousin's Harley Davidson Fat Boy. All Black and chrome.

I personally am buying the Bass 750 and Megogoliath here really soon. I may go ahead and get the cab now, but wait for the 750x to come out.

I'm still waiting for them to update their info

15. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    By the way, if anyone wants to check out the new SWR gear, go to SWRSOUND.COM and there is a banner link at the top of the webpage for:
    "NEW FOR 2002...."

16. Yup, thanks for the tip. The Banner is right at the top of the SWR home page.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think the change from Basic Black to Black Beauty represents a few trends:

1. The comeback of 15" speakers. For years, the 10" was king, now suddenly everyone is rediscovering the 12" and 15".

2. Need for more power. If the Basic Black had one flaw, it was lack of power. The new amp makes for a better rock and roll amp capable of higher SPLs.

3. The octave thing may seem like a gimmick, but SWR is not the first to copy Ashdown. Ampeg already did that with the B5R, offering the octave divider plus footswitchable overdrive. I expect we'll see more of this built into amps in the future, at least until the music trends change again :rolleyes: I can still remember the 1980s when almost every bass amp you looked at had built in chorus; in the 1970s it was onboard fuzz.

18. As far as the on-board-octaver-device-trend goes, EBS has had octavers on board since the first Taurus-combo (later to evolve into Gorm) came out, sometime in the eighties. Ahead of their time, eh?

19. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    WHERE'S MY 4x12!!!!!!!?!?!!?

sigh.