swr blown speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david_l_perry, Apr 28, 2003.

1. I have Just had 4 of the 6 speakers in my new goliath 6x10 blow out this weekend. Its powered by an SWR SM900 amp running mono bridged. Should be an ideal match of amp and cab.
    The 6x10 is rated at 1000W and amp rated at 900W
    Its only 4 months old so am hoping to sort it out under warranty today.
    I have owned Ampeg, trace, Hartke, Peavey and non have ever blown in my 16+ years of playing
    very annoyed....ARGGGGH
    Any body had similar experiances with SWR cabs ?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Some questions:-

When you say the speakers are blown, are you saying that the voice coils are damaged, or the speaker cone/surround are torn?

What were your amp head settings like just prior to the speakers blowing, in particular the pre-gain and master volume.

I'm not judging you, I'm just trying to work out what happened?
  3. When I burnt my SWR speakers, it was the
    voice coil that went.

With dry hands or with the help
    of a clean dry rag... place
    three fingers of each hand at the 9 and 3
    position on the speaker cone and gently
    push in.

You will feel/hear the wire wraps rubbing.
    It can be very subtle, but you'll know.

A good speaker 'floats' silently and springy.
  4. Cheers for comments Donne, Pete

I have the eq set pretty flat
    but with a cutt of mid range @ 800hz as follows

Aural Enhancer set at about 2 o'clock
    Bass set flat (12 o'clock)
    eq pot 1 (low freq) set flat (12 o'clock)
    eq pot 2 (mid freq's) 800hz cut about -7db (9 o'clock)
    eq pot 3 (high freq) set flat (12 o'clock)
    Treble set flat

The second eq section is set very similar but with less of a mid range cut and a boost of low range @80hz of about +3db for a good punchy slap sound

The amp is running in 'Mono Bridge'

volume has been set at about "10 o'clock" during gigs and Limiter set at about 1 o' clock
    Input levels are set so that the Input LED rarely flashes and the output clip LED very rarely lit (if at all).

As for the speakers....
    All four speakers have ripped or damaged directly adjacent to the central dust cover dome. Non of the voice coils appear to have gone as the speakers feel very smoothe when compressed in by hand (had allready checked that) and when I do a polarity check with a 9v battery all of the speakers react in the same manner (ie all push out at the same rate and depth)

I am guessing that its looking like a manufacturing problem with the construction of the cone / dust cover glue perhaps ?

Bye the way, the Horn is fine and when i tried out the unit in My garage after the gig it sounds fine at low level, its only when driven that the distortion comes in. The distortion is certainly from the 'flapping' cones,
    obviously I wont use the cab while its in this state.

Thanks again, Dave
  5. One more thing...
    I am coming to the conclusion that this damage will have been occuring over tha last few months since purchase (Jan this year), and only now has it got to the point that it has been audibly noticable.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ah, sounds like the speakers aren't blown. Rather the dust caps are falling off. That definitely sounds like shoddy workmanship and should therefore be a warranty job. It's also a fairly simple repair job so they shouldn't give you too much dramas.

There's nothing in your settings to suggest you were doing anything to contribute to the damage.

Interesting that 4 out of 6 speakers went AWOL. Correction, interesting that 2 of them are ok. All 6 speakers would have been subject to the same amount of power, yet 2 of them withstood. Better get them checked while you're there.......
  7. Cheers Pete

My thoughts exactly
    Chances are that the two speakers that appear ok may well be on the same batch of production but just have held on a bit better. Not all 4 of the drivers have gone to the same extent...doesnt fill me with confidence..

Thanks again
  8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    If your cab is under warranty, SWR are real jerks when it comes to their warranty. If the paper adjacent to the circular dome is ripped they are going to tell you that the cab was misused or abused and they are not going to cover it under their warranty.

A new 10" driver from SWR is about $130 minus shipping expenses and a factory recone is about $70 minus shipping. I would call SWR today and find out if they have new or reconed drivers instock, chances are they do not. Your cab is going to out commition for at least a month.

I have dealt with them twice within a years time because I kept popping drivers in my Goliath Jr. Each time it happened I had to wait at least a month for them to get me a speaker. And that was just for one driver.

I talked to the guys at Epifani because I was looking at getting a different cab/cabs to replace my SWR cabs and they gave this advice. At that time I was a SWR 750 to power my Goliath Jr. and S.O.B. Nick had told me that SWR amps seem to push their speakers more than other amps, particullary because of the aural enhancer. The problem was with my amp and not my speakers. He said that if I bought his speakers and powered them with the SWR 750 I would probally have the same problem.

I sold the 750 and my cabs. I now have a Demeter pre, QSC power, and 2 Aggie 112's. No problems no. I did notice that even when you power SWR speakers with an amp other than SWR, the speakers move ALOT. Only way to fix your problem is sell it now before it happens again.
  9. You shouldn't be able to blow any drivers with that amp. The cab is rated higher than the amp output:meh: Now is a good time to find out just how good SWR service really is. All companies have trouble from time to time and it is how they handle those problems that really seperates them. I would ask to have all 6 drivers replaced. If the glue on the dust caps is coming loose after only 4 mo than how much longer will it last on the rest of the speakers? Keep us posted on how they handle this. Good Luck.
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    No offense, but I'd check with SWR and get their side before sharing that story. I sell and play a lot of SWR gear, and none of my customers have reported any sort of similar problem. I haven't had that experience either, and have played the 750x head through Yorkville and Ampeg speakers. You should read the section in their FAQs page regarding power ratings, perhaps.
  11. Thought you guys may want to see one of the speakers for yourselves...
    Now remember this is just 4 months old, and powered with SWR's recommended SM900 head
    4 of the speakers are in a very similar state two dont appear to be damaged, and none of them appear to have any damage to the voice coils...

Take a look at the attachment
  12. Looks like over-excursion damage.

Cranked gain, volume, and bass.

Are you sure no one has messed with your
    rig behind your back?

BTW: Let us know how SWR customer service
    treats you on this one.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    holy sweet mother of god! :eek:

yeah, that isn't a 'shoddy workmanship' type of speaker damage, that's a 'banging on the bass like fieldy with the bass knob up all the way and the volume maxxed' type of damage.

only thing i can guess is that you have 2 speakers that aren't connected - the ones that still are ok. and that someone has been messing with your stuff.

jeez man, i've NEVER seen a speaker that thrashed. you will have to be the smoothest mofo on the planet to get swr to give you any kind of warranty replacement on that.

i hit my GSr with 1000 watts at some serious volumes (nothing EVER clipping though) and i see very little cone excursion unless i'm doing heavy slapping with the bass jacked and the compressor off.
  14. Take a look at my eq settings further up this thread and you will see that the eq is set flat with mid cut, and also that all speakers are connected and that the voice coils dont appear to be busted..

I replaced a perfect pair of Hartke 4.5XL cabs for the Goliath, which incedently are rated at a combined power rating 200 watts lower than the goliath, and they never had any problems..

Not a happy bunny...looks like i am gigging this weekend with my peavey practice rig (ohhh that hurts...but having said that it still works !!!)
    will let you lot know how I go on with SWR
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hate to say it but it does indeed look like over excursion. Either that or the paper cone was made from sub-standard material. The last time I saw a speaker like this, it was one of the 15's from a EV mongoose PA and the only cure was a complete re-cone.
  16. This gear is meant to be built for stadium gigs !!
    If a peavey 210tx and a 115 can handle it I am pretty sure that the SWR Goliath should..

I am by no means a bigginner in the gear and playing department..This should not be able to happen to pro gear with the EQ settings and Gain settings as I have them..it has to be faulty cones. If you check out SWR's recomended settings in there handbook they have some big low end boost settings...I have mine set Flat....it just does not add up...The Hartke cabs never had a problem...
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I run my SM-900 with settings fairly similar to yours, and I agree they're perfectly reasonable. I'm no expert on speaker abuse/damage and can't comment and won't speculate on the photo, but I will say this: I've run into more than my share of problems from SWR's PAS 10" drivers. Awhile back I bought a "new" Super Redhead that shouldn't have been sold as new - both 10s started crapping out after a couple of months and I got the store to trade me for a new SM-900, which I paired with a minty Goliath III (8 ohm) I bought off Ebay. The Goliath had two problem 10's as well. In both cases, the speakers could well have been abused before they came into my possession - but I'm hearing too many stories and too many coincidences to accept anything other than the notion that these drivers are particularly fragile.

I am and will remain a loyal SWR advocate, but I gots to call 'em as I sees 'em. :)
  18. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    U4riabass - That *is* pretty impressive speaker damage. I've been dealing with SWR regarding a Goliath II, and I was told that the speakers in the Goliath Sr are Eminence, while the ones in the Goliath (4x10) are PAS. I don't know if they recone the Eminences. You could get a replacement set of Eminence Deltas for cheap from the guys at Avatar.

PS: Hey Greybeard - just because the amp is rated at a certain power output doesn't mean that it isn't capable of a much larger transient if it's clipping the power amp.
  19. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    A few months after the warranty went out on my Super Redhead, I fried both speakers. I didn't think you could blow them in a combo unit since they're a "matched " set.
  20. This is turning into a Big Blow Out.

I never realized just how many people
    where in the Blown Speaker Club.