Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR buy out ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david_l_perry, May 29, 2003.

1. Not to spread rumours.....but
    Just read on the SWR forum that SWR may be being bought out by Fender..
    Somebody tell me this is all lies...

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Let's hope it's just a joke. If this rumour is based on right information, this means the end of SWR is planned.

I believe everyone will remember what became of Sunn, DeArmond, Guild, etc.

I'll show no interest at all for a solid-state SWR Bassman amp...

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    could it be because of the eden washburn (by this I mean U.S Music corp) deal?

I what changes would be made?

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I hope this is rumor! I have just been thinking about SWR lately for I am not real happy with my Eden stuff as of late...:(

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've seen quite a few of the Guild Hollowbodies that are really nice that have been made after Fender bought out Guild. But, it remains to be seen if it is true.

Besides--it could be worse. It could be Gibson...:eek: :help:

6. I hope it isn't Fender; they really haven't done much to promote the other brand names they have acquired. It's almost like Fender is doing to the brands it acquires what CBS did to Fender back in the 70's and 80's. I really admire Peavey for keeping not cheapening Crest.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Let's also admire SLM for keeping Ampeg on the high-end side.

And let's admire Ashdown for staying independent (at least until now).

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Uria, where did you see this post? I just checked the forums and I didn't see anything like that. That rumours been floating for a few months now. Hope it doesn't turn out to be fact:rolleyes:

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, either they deleted it cuz it's true and they don't want the word to get out, or they deleted it cuz it wasn't true...I just posted there asking them to comment...but if they're selling out to Fender, then I'm done with SWR! Sorry, but as stated before, they've killed too many brands for me to consider upgrading from my Workingman's Rig to a Pro rig if they're Fender by then...

11. Hah, good thing i bought an SWR now... i reeeeally hope fender doesn't buy them out. i'm sorry people, but i've never been a fan of fender, and i don't intend on becoming one. lolz. If SWR gets bought out, i'll rage. Actually, i'll be happy that i've got an SWR amp before they decided to start sucking. In any event, i still hope that doesn't happen.

~Zentner

12. This rumor has been floating around the Music Industry longer than the speculation that Eden was going to be bought out.

Rumors even had it that Fender offered SWR a buyout 9 months ago, but SWR was insulted by the price.

SWR's support and service has atleast remained strong. (from a dealer's point of view, anyway)

There has been no hint from the company itself of any bind for them. At least Eden was bought after the bank pulled the plug, after over a year of declining dealer and customer support.

FishBulb

13. The thread was on the SWR forum 'general chat'...but just checked it out and looks like swr have removed it..very odd. The thread had about 3-4 comments just asking if there was any truth in the rumour. Notably all from existing happy SWR users (Like myself).

I think its out of order that SWR removed it without comment..but its their thread.

What can you do..They can't win here because if they dont comment then we all assume the worst..

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    My post was removed as well. Further investigation required...I'll keep you posted...