swr cab configuration.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 5, 2003.

1. i wanna get two workingman cabs from swr...i know one will be a 4-10...but im not sure if i want a 2-10....or a 1-15.......i dont really need alot of low end...and i dont use a 5 string.....whats you're opinion???
  2. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    From what you're saying, I would recommend you get a Goliath III instead of two Workingman's cabs. One Goliath should more than fill the bill, will handle more power and be easier to transport than a Workingman's 4x10 and 1x15.
  3. would a goliath really handle everything?? i need it to be my last cab..and ill be playing some pretty big venues this summer.
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I think a 4x10 and 2x10 together would be just fine, essentially a 6x10 set up...but what head will you be using?
  5. im using a genz benz 500 watt head...i only have about 1 grand to drop on a cab/cabs
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, that Goliath ought to do you pretty well. It's nice and deep, but of course has punch like mad! I've been using two WM's rigs for a few years now, and trust me, you'll get tired of the WMs! You should be able to get the Goliath for well under a grand, or if you really do some digging, you may be able to find the Goliath Sr. for around $1k.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd also vote for the single Goliath III. Although I think having more speakers is almost always a good idea, this is a case where quality is more important than quantity. The SWR Pro line stuff sounds noticeably better than the Workingmans - especially the tweeter/horns. The Goliath handles 700 watts which is more than enough for your 500 watt amp.

I play 4 string 95% of the time and greatly prefer the punch and definition of all 10s to the depth added by a 15, so I'd vote against the 15. My 5 string doesn't sound shabby through the Goliath on the occasions I play it, either.

One tough decision you'll have to make, though - whether to get a Goliath III in the 4 ohm or 8 ohm version. I'm not familiar with Genz Benz amps and their specific impedance issues, but it's likely that getting the 4 ohm cab will not let you run another cab if you want one down the road, and getting the 8 ohm will not let you get the full 500 watts out of the amp.

BTW, I'm a huge SWR advocate, but I played though a small Genz Benz cab recently and was pretty impressed with it - any reasons for not going that route?
  8. i'd love to buy some genz benz cabs, but i cant find them anywhere, and i mean anywhere, i've been looking actually, so if you know anyplace online to buy genz benz let me know. and iv actually been thinking of buying peavey speakers....even avatar maybe. whatcha think about that?
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There's a Peavey 4x10t cabinet at my rehearsal space and I've used it a few times. Nowhere near the Goliath in terms of sound or build quality. A very poor imitation of the Goliath design, IMO. Don't know about Avatar, but people on this board seem to like it... Don't know where to find Genz Benz, either...
  10. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    willy -

i work on a website for a shop that is a genz-benz dealer. he always has GB cabs in house. i'm not sure how shipping would work out but give him a try. he's in maine.

i would suggest calling him rather than email - he isn't too good at answering emails. his name is mike, he's the shop owner, and tell him erik sent you.

good luck.

BTW - i have the ampgeg 610 hlf which i run with a 450 watt amp - sounds killer - i paid 700 for the cab brand new. it will work for large venues.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you want a cab that will always be loud enough and you're not bothered about getting extreme lows then the Goliath Senior 6x10" will be awesome. It's probably the most efficient cab you can buy and is extremely punchy. It weighs 115lbs but a Goliath weighs 89lbs so there not 'that' much extra weight.

12. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Alex, I would think the benefit of the slightly lighter weight of the Goliath Sr. would be more than offset by the greater ease of movement and flexibility afforded by a Goliath III/Goliath Jr. stack. The Goliath III is about the limit of what I can handle by myself--it really sucks needing to have someone else to move your gear all the time!
  13. Another good option to consider would be SWR Henry the 8x8. It has nice clarity and punch. It has a warm sound but is not too boomy. I've used mine for years now and I still think it's great. I can move it up and down stairs by myself if I have to. -Wes
  14. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I would put the Avatar at the same level as the Workingman's & the Peavey TVX line. I've had/have all three and the Avatar is what I would buy again, then the Peavey then Workingman's.

It's all opinion though. Use your ears and fit it into your budget.

If it were me, I would go with either two 2-10's at 8-ohms each, or a 2-12 and a 2-10 at 8-ohms each. From Avatar. That way you could use a 2-10 for small venues or practice, and the full stack for large gigs.
  15. There is no substitute for cone area if you want punch.

I have a WM 4x10T and a Goliath Jr III. I use them both together and can't imagine a gig where they wouldn't be loud enough.

If you look at frequency response and efficiency specs, the Goliath Jr should out perform the WM 4x10, but it doesn't. Used alone, the 4x10 is much louder than the Goliath Jr. Put them both together with my SWR Bass 350 and it thumps!
  16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    A number of years ago, BP did a review of the WM160 head and a pair of WM410Ts. They really liked the amp but suggested that one would do better to spend the extra bux and get Goliaths instead.

The Avatar suggestion is a good one too.
  17. so whats the general attitude toward the race between avatars and peaveys? (cuz the ideal swr rig is way outta my price range) unless i found an swr 4-10 for under 700 buck somewhere..cuz i already have an swr 1-15..which i was gonna sell to get better speakers...but if i found a 4-10 for under 700 id sell my back up hartke head and ampeg cab for that 4-10 to pair with my 1-15
  18. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You shouldn't have to pay more than $750 for a new SWR Goliath III 4x10. . . So they should be well under 700 used.
  19. i've never seen a new swr 4-10 less than 769....and i havent any guitar centers near me...but 725 sounds amazing. i may have to make a road trip
  20. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, if its your ideal rig, I would either scrounge up the extra $50 or make the road trip. If your budget is $700 and your ideal thing is within $100, I personally would wait until I could get the extra cash together.

Under no circumstances should you pay much more than 750.