Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ampegrulz, Sep 28, 2000.

1. ampegrulz

ampegrulz

Jun 15, 2000
    I hope someone can help me figure this out. I have an SWR Big Bertha cab and it has been making a funny sound. Whenever I do a heavy pull off on the G string the speaker sounds like its blown. However when I play it normal or pound it with bottom end, nothing. The horn is turned down also.

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok, i'm just guessing but wouldn't hard bends & stuff on the g string be hard for a 2X15 to reproduce that high of tones. Have you tried playing the same thing through a 10 or 12? well hope that helped.

3. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    My style is heavy on the poppin' unt a slappin' and I also have a Big Bertha cab. No problems pulling off on the G on mine. Could you elaborate on the "funny sound"? Maybe the cab is just pissed that you have a***g in your username. ;)

-geo?

4. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    check out the nut that screws onto the input jack of your bass. if it's loose you could get a rattle that sounds like a speaker blown.

i know it sounds crazy, but check it out.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, larger speaker size has nothing to do with being able to produce high notes. Ive played a guitar through an SWR Big Ben before, and it sounded just fine (as guitar through bass amp goes). Hell, Dimebag Darryl of Pantera plays through 2x15s (and 4x12s, of course). If a 2x15 couldnt reproduce a high C (let alone a g!), why would they market it? Im betting it was either something WRONG with the speaker cone (like it actually was partially blown), or the bass itself.