Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Cabinet Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, Jun 3, 2005.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've read dozens of threads kind of relating to SWR quality, etc. I'm just looking for general thoughts and opinions on SWR as a company and their products now that Fender has taken over - Specifically their pro line - i.e. Goliath, SOB, etc. Are they still the quality big name they used to be?

I know there have been a few threads similar to this - but most are usually about a specific cab or head.

Thanks in advance.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've played some of the newer stuff in shops, and I spent a lot of time using their older gear ... I think Goliath II is the best cab they ever made, followed by Triad I and Henry the 8x8.

And they're cheap on the used market ;)

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

+1 on the Goliath II. Best 4x10 I've ever used. Wish I still had mine.

But I like the Henry 8x8 over the Triad. The Henry is super-punchy and quick, but with enough bottom to get the job done, even with a 5-string. What I really like about the Henry was that it developed very fast -- no slow bloomer there! Seemed to me to be as loud 5 feet from it on stage as it did out in the audience.

To me, the 10" in the Triad just didn't work. On mine, it seemed like it had no crossover or protection and it was trying to develop just as much lows just as loud as the 15". Mine seemed like the 10" was always flapping and farting to keep up, but just never did. That's why I sold it. With a bandpass filter about 50Hz in line with the 10", the Triad would rule!

YMMV, of course!

dcr

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Triad and Hank are neck and neck for me. I used a Triad for my bottom cab for about a year and I always thought it sounded really good, but not nearly as loud as the Eden D-115XLT I replaced it with. Great tone, but not super loud.

I only used a Hank on one gig as part of a house backline ... but it definately had me smiling.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree with what pickles said. Look for a used goliath II. The older stuff is going cheap. make sure the speakers are in good shape because replacements are expensive.

6. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Is the Goliath III not as good? That's what I've been looking at getting.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have very little experience with the III, but rumor has it that its a little harder/harsher sounding. The II was actually a very warm sounding cab IMO, contrary to the usual SWR rep. The big advantage of the III though is that it is front ported, which I've found gives you more consistent results in wierd rooms than a back ported cab. With the back ported cabs I've had boom problems on occasion from them shooting so much sound into the back corner of the room. I usually solved that by placing the cab close to a wall.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you want to buy a brand new cab, but you want something that sounds close to an old Goliath II, check out the Eden D-410T.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't have experience with the Goliath II, but I have a Goliath III, and I don't think it's harsh at all. But maybe that's because I've learned to turn off the tweeter most of the time! (The tweeter in my new GK Neo112 is smoother IMO.) Seriously, though, it's a very good cab, with solid, even tone. It's not as warm as some, but of course much of that depends on the head, and I certainly don't think it sounds sterile. Its efficiency is a huge plus.

My experience bears out the comment about consistent results in acoustically weird rooms, because I've almost always found that my rig has greater clarity in the rooms I've played than the other rigs I've heard. I'd say the one clear exception was a rig including an Epifani 310 cab; the bass was a Fodera fiver. No real shocker there!

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. It's helped a lot.

:bassist:

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Eden no longer makes the D410T; it's been dropped from their lineup. Too bad.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've used both the Goliath III and Goliath SR, I liked both cabs very much. I found the Goliath III was really punchy sounding, whereas the SR had a slight bit more volume and bottom.

I haven't tried any of their current-production stuff but I don't think it would be hard to spot any cabinet construction problems. If they're still using P.A.S. drivers IMO they'll sound and hold up fine.

- Art

13. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    The Henry 8x8 for larger, outdoor gigs, and the Henry Jr. 4x8 for smaller, coffeehouse-type of gigs. I thought both cabs were wonderful and were complete workhorses.

The Henry pushed a lot of air due to the bigger box, but maintained its punch and quickness with the 8" speakers. I always had enough low end with that cab.

I thought both cabs were warm and defined and I'll always have good memories of them.

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have the Goliath III,but I wish I still had the II,because it had a sweeter and musical tone than the current III that I have for now,but I think I'm just going to go back with Ampeg

15. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I own a Goliath SR and I'm very happy with it.
    Their heads don't do mch to me, but their cabs.. mmmmmmmmm.... :)

16. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm happy with my SWR Goliath III!!!!!!!! :D and I love the cab very much!!

This is my answer!!

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Unfortunately I can't currently afford to go "all SWR", but I purchased my Mini Mo' preamp post-Fender buyout and have had no problems whatsoever. It took them a while to address it publicly, but the only problems that came up were issues with replacement parts, and to their credit they stood up and took it like professionals.

Much like Eden and St. Louis Music, Fender certainly didn't buy SWR to absorb into their line. The new WorkingPro series by SWR and Fender's TBP-1 preamp are examples of this. Both came from different design teams with different goals and are sold under very different product lines. The only similarity is the place of construction.

18. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001

What HE said.
    [​IMG]

To my ears, the Goliath Jr.III has a smooth silky sheen to it's sound, with boatloads of depth and clarity. It's personality adds to, rather than get in the way of, the personality of the amp & ax in front of it.

19. Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll go ahead and give props to the Megoliath. Being a big 311 fan, I noticed it was in P-Nut's rig, so I actually purchased one without trying it, but am more than happy with it. It's alot larger than most 810 cabinets (depth), and that seems to give it a deeper sound. I generally crank my mids/low mids and play really close to the bridge, so with that style and eq the Megoliath is just monstrous sounding. Most clubs I bring it into with a large PA dont even DI or mic me because it alone keeps up with the PA. I've also tried the 350x, 550x, goliath III, and the SOB. I was really unimpressed with their heads. They were unusually weak sounding and sounded much too scooped scooped for me. The goliath III sounded nothing like the Megoliath running only 4 of the 10s (it can be split in two which is really cool if you are the stereo type, or like to run two amps), but was alot more tame sounding. The SOB sounded fantastic, and if I had a 410 and were in the market for a 115 the SOB would definately be my choice. I've been wanting to try the mini mo' lately.

20. I wish more companies made 4x8's, I'de adore one to go with my GK neo112 in the future.