SWR cabinet question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Okay well, here I am again. It seems like I'm constantly changing my plans for a new rig, and yet again my head is spinning... :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out which SWR cab setup will be the best for my situation. I'm willing to spend around $1000, possibly a bit more if necessary.

I play a 5 string, and I need some serious low end, as well as good highs. I also need something very loud.

I'm planning to buy an SM-900 head, so I was thinking of going with a Goliath Senior, but now I am also considering a Goliath III/Son of Bertha setup. So many choices. Ugh. :oops:

Any other possible combinations I should consider?
  2. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    You can't go wrong with the Goliath sr. !! :)

IMO, ....it's the best single cab SWR makes. A perfect blend of Bigness / powerhandling / and portability.

I recommend Highly. :)
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Ok, sounds like a plan :)

Anyone else with a comment?
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I've played an SM900 through a Goliath III 4x10 and SOB underneath. It was mind blowing great. The nice thing about that rig is that it disassembles into small chunks that fit in most vehicles. And you can take just one cabinet to practice, or to small gigs. More versatile to go with both Cabinets instead of the Goliath Senior alone. Just my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it!

5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've played through all three of those cab's...and almost all that are available from SWR. I have to agree with the Goliath III/SOB setup. It is portable and easy to manage smaller gig's. The Goliath Senior is a great cab but if you're a 5'er then I would definately go with the SOB. The Goliath III can do some pretty low stuff but nothing like the SOB will put out. With that setup and the SM900 you'll have an unstoppable rig that's for sure.
    Just my .02
    A/B them if you can and pick what YOU like.
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Hmmm...yeah I'll have to try these out in a store someday, problem is that there are very few decent music stores around here :(

btw roscoe, why do you attach that pic of your bass to every single post? :)
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i play a 5, and the low B (or even A) from my bass CRUSHES through the the senior. it's the best bass cab i've ever played...

that said, i have a 112 avatar cab - soon to be two, so i have another loud rig without having to lug the senior around. right now, it stays in the bands van, and i only see it for our gigs. if i had a bigger car/truck and an apartment without stairs it wouldn't be a big deal, though. it's really light, just kinda bulky.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Goliath Senior. IMO the best cab made also.

Nov 11, 2002
    I second that. Golaith Senior.
    I tried the goliath3 and SOB before I got my senior, and i played it through a sm900, and I wasnt all that impressed, it might have been b/c GC had it stacked with the 15 on top, but it did not have the punch or lows like I thought it would, certainly not like the Henry nor Senior for that matter.
    If you want mad lows go with a henry, that thing is crazy, I use to play one before i got my senior, and that henry had no problems handling my "B" string. The senior however can handle serious abuse with 1000 watts and still has good lows though, plus you can always add a SOB or BigBen with your Senior for serious domination.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Lockout...where in the great state of Wisconsin are you?

Music Center in Kenosha has a pretty good selection and the Guitar Center in Highland Park, IL has a good selection of SWR.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Goliath Sr. is one of my favorite single cabs. It's hard to beat it when clarity, punch and volume are priorities.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i forgot to mention the volume issue. this sucker is as loud as a single bass cab gets, and the advantage to that is that you have lots of headroom on your amp, leaving plenty of room for big fat lows :)
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

Good N' Loud music in Madison has lots of SWR stuff (i've purchased every piece of SWR equipment i've owned thru them, great guys), as does Electric City Music in Kaukauna ( www.electriccitymusic.com ) and interstate music in New Berlin.
  14. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I'm in Washington county, Richfield to be exact. :)

Not a big selection of music stores nearby, and going to IL to try out a cab is a bit far for me :(

Does the Interstate Music in New Berlin have a good selection of SWR stuff in-store? I've only been there once, and that was before I started bass.

I've been to the Interstate in Mequon several times but they rarely have more than one or two SWR cabs in stock, I'd have to ask them to special order the Senior/SM-900 in order to try it.

Heh, I hear Good N' Loud ads on the radio occasionally when I listen to JJO (it's comes in a bit fuzzy out here, but I listen to it anyway) and I always find myself wanting to go there and try everything out until I remember how far away it is :)
  15. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    IMHO the Senior doesn't have the lows of the Goliath III. I A/B ed them and for 5 string the lows disappeared on the B string. The specs on the SWR site bear this out. It is a loud cabinet and was designed and tuned to be. The compromise is loss of lows. I bought 2 III's. I later bought a Goliath Jr. III so I can do the 6x10 thing with deep lows. Price would be a little higher then a Senior. Also you may get a call for a smaller gig then you can take half your stuff. Style of music is important as you may not hear the drop off.
  16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just listened to a Goliath Senior Yesterday at The Bass Place in Scottsdale. I was test driving an Ashdown ABM500 EVO using my Roscoe LG3005. First, I played through an Aguilar 2X12 with Tweeter. The sound was deep, fat, tight, punchy and very creamy. Then just for comparison, we plugged into the nearest reasonable option; an SWR Goliath Sernior 6X10. It sounded very good, but the low end punch was completely non existant. The tone of the cabinet was too sterile and lifeless by comparison. It had no character, and for the record, I have always LVOED Goliath III 4X10 cabs. The "Goliath Senior" just sounded hollow. I was quite surprised. The tight focused Midrange I was hearing with the Aguilar was gone. Completely! Perhaps not a fair comparison. But in all, I would not buy a Goliath Senior. I have played through a Goliath III 4X10 with the SOB 1X15 underneath and it was quite outstanding. As always, your mileage may vary. The Goliath Senior for all it's size and weight was unacceptable to my ears. I was actually quite surprised at how much I liked tha Aguilar 2X12 cabinet, but I already bought a Bergantino 322 which will arive this Saturday But that's a story for a different thread. - Gary
  17. Has anyone here tried the 12-pack or 12-stack from SWR, 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. I bought the 2x12 a while back and it's definitely the one for me, although I have to chain it with my ampeg 410 to load my old SVT enough (they're all 8 ohm cabs). Very punchy, nice lows, extremely loud. It's part of their Custom Pro series, new last year.
  18. Denimhorn

Nov 25, 2002
    Are you guts playing the GoliathIII through an SM900 playing the 8 or 4 ohm model?
  19. I play a StingRay5, using a Trace Elliot GP12SMX pre-amp slaved through an Ashdown ABM-400 head. I recently added both Goliath III and Son of Bertha cabs to my backline.

The Goliath just cuts through on stage and projects excellently front of house. It is very "tight" and clean, and with the Son of Bertha on the bottom I get all the low end I need without any boomyness. The low B is very focussed.

I used to run the Ashdown at about 3/4 volume for most gigs, with my old cabinets - now it barely reaches 1/2 as the SWR cabinets are extremely efficient.

An added bonus is that I can fit both cabinets onto the back seat of my car, or use them separately should I wish to do so.
  20. I played that Rig SM 900-->Goliath III + SOB for 3 years and here is my .02$.
    First I play both 4 and 5 string in a Rock/funk/metal/Jazz/Groove band (i.e. good mix). I started with the Gol III but added the SOB for the B string and have been very happy. It does make the sound, especially slapping the E string and Fingerstyle on the B more FULL.

I run them daisy-chained in bridged mono from the SM 900. This is my preference for punch and focus and I can compete with a Bonham-like drummer and 2 Marshall half stacks in our three piece.

BTW I've changed to a Demeter/Stewart Rack with those Speakers and have been very happy.

Hope that helps and I'm probably selling the SM 900......hint, hint