SWR Cabs, Triad or Big Ben?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Aug 18, 2013.

1. I have the Triad, but I think I want something a little more 'in your face' sounding, something with a little more 'Brute' in it. I wonder if the Big Ben will upstage the triad in this regard... any experiences between the two?

2. hgiles

hgiles

Nov 8, 2012
    Virginia
    I've always liked the idea/concept of the Triad. This thread will be interesting...

3. Markr1st

Markr1st

Oct 12, 2012
    Ive played the Triad as a 'small gig suitable' replacement to my Bergantino HT322 and HT212's... GREAT cab. However I was BLOWN AWAY by the 'in your face' tone of the Henry the 8x8.... Played with and kept right up with two guitarists... Cab was chest pounding and drove dishes off a stand! I havent tried their 610 or 810 but the Henry is DAMN good!

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I had the Triad for a few months and moved on to a different cab as I thought it sounded much too polite, so I can really understand your need here. I thought it would be the best of all worlds, but it's way too hi-fi without real girth and I found it was easily challenged at high volume; in my final analysis it seemed like what it looks like: a single, big 3-way audio-system speaker.

5. Well so far, so sensible. I had the 8x8, and for moving in and out of the house (up and down fairly ancient, rough stone and mortar steps from street to basement of house), it proved more ponderous than was sustainable. I am definitely leaning toward a home-built 12/12/6, but until I can get that saved up for and accomplished, I'm going to have to do something that will hold me over... yeah the Triad is great sounding, but, indeed, lacks the muscle necessary for my gig-agenda. And two of them would be like carrying around a small house... :p

I miss the 8x8, but I've been there twice now. If I lived in a place where I could just roll the thing to my mini-van, this thread would never happen, and I'd have had years of happy noise-making without the headaches...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021