SWR cabs vs Low B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 7, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have heard a few things about SWR cabs not being able to handle Low B very well, particularly the Son of a Bertha cab and Goliath cabs. I think I read somewhere that they are made ideally for E range and up.

I use a working man's 1x15 and havent really had problems with it. However, at my last gig I heard some farting out around midway through the show (for some reason my gain goes way up once something in my rig warms up, maybe the tube in the ART levelar I am using), but this might have been my other cab in the setup.

Anyone have experience with this B issue and SWR cabs?
  2. I use a Megoliath which is the pro 810 model, and it easily handles the low B provided you dont have your low frequency boosted all the way. I've never had my speakers fart on me no matter how high I run the volume. The goliath 410 cabs cannot handle the B NEARLY as well though. I've tried out a SOB only once, but it was with a 5 string and the B sounded fine at medium volume, didnt have time to really push it though. I'd be willing to bet the Goliath Sr. 610 wouldnt have too much of a problem with it either.
  3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i used to use a workingmans 15" combo, and i never had farting problems with my 5-stringer. i also never ran the master above 2 o'clock since i didnt want to blow a speaker
  4. I have plenty of low end farting with my low B on my Workingman 15 but then again, I'm running a mid scooped eq for heavy rock and pushing the amp pretty hard... sounds like ****

can't wait to get a decent amp...
  5. Never had a problem getting a good low B sound with a Goliath III and plenty of watts. Much more of the quality of the B string sound has to do with the bass and the quality of the B string going into the system IMO. I actually find that cabs that roll off a little bit higher (40 hz, 50hz), like the Eden410XLT actually can produce a punchier B string in a live setting in a busy mix... sometimes that big 30hz fundamental can sound very boomy.
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I guess Ill have to actually try some of this stuff out before making a decision. I have a pretty controlled low B compared to what I had in the past (blew a speaker on my 2x15), using a compressor and preamp and a decent quality bass. I would be using one of these cabs with a Mesa Bass 400 head.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Basic Black combo (1x15 + tweeter) and it handles the low B pretty good.

The Goliath, Goliath Senoir, and Megoliath handle the low B very well. The Big Bertha and the Triad also handle it pretty good.

The Goliath Junior and the SOB don't handle it so well, unless paired with another cab.
  8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    My Goliath Jr.III handles the low B on my 'Ray 5 quite well to my ears. :eyebrow:
  9. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I believe (old timers correct me if I'm wrong) that the original Goliath cabs and SM-400 were the first bass amps that were designed with 5 string bass in mind. The EQ on the SM-400 goes down to 31Hz, and this was one of their selling points back in the '80's. I have used one of these original setups with a 5 string since '89 and it has never had a problem with the low B.
    As far as the newer stuff, I don't know. From what I hear their quality has declined over the years. Back then it was the best amp you could buy, obviously their recent models are no longer considered top shelf.