Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swr cabs vs mesa cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 7, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have the choise between the two. it seem sto me that the swrs have a lot more punch, however, the mesa is a lot bigger and has more growl. what do you think the cabs are 2x10 and 1x15 for both brands.

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    bump

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not A/B'd SWR with the newer Powerhouse cabs, but I did with the Diesel series. To my ears, it sounded like SWRs were designed for a bit of a midrange bump, similar to Eden, while the Mesa Boogies were a bit more balance across the frequency spectrum and seemed more articulate. Tonal separation was much greater on the Boogies.

I own a Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 and a Powerhouse Jr. (which is really a Diesel cab with four 8's and a 12 - not to be confused with the newer Powerhouse line of cabs), and I love them both. The funny thing is, that when I bought my 4x10, I had thought that I was going to by an SWR 6x10, which I had heard before and liked. But side by side, the Boogies were much better at reproducing the tone I am going after.

Tom.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks alot man.

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I have a few SWR cab's and that's pretty much my choice in speakers/cab's. I have tried some of the older Mesa's and I did like them...not as much as my SWR but they were nice. SWR cab's seem to me to be a bit more transparent and midrange/high than the Mesa's. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either but give them both a try and see what you like. I currently have a Goliath Senior/Big Bertha as my big rig and a Goliath III/Son of Bertha as my little rig.

6. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I used to have a Goliath III . It sounded good but it was a little twangy for my taste. I sold it and got a Mesa Powerhouse 2x15. The difference is amazing. The Mesa has a lot more growl and it just sounds amazing.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can fit them in your vehicle, and lug them where you need to be, those Mesa Boogie 2x15's are incredible. I haven't heard the Powerhouse version, but the older Diesel and Road Ready versions were some of the best full-range cabs I have heard. Nothing like the feeling of extremely tight, clear notes hitting you like a wall of bricks! That cab can move some serious air!

Tom.