Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR - Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by josephm, Sep 27, 2000.

1. josephm

josephm

Aug 25, 2000
    Greetings all.

I am the proud owner of a Workingman's 4004 head. Currently, I'm using it with a PA sub, but will be looking into buying "real" speaker cabinet(s) for it soon.

My question is this: i (finally!) understand about the Ohm thing, I can have one 4-Ohm cab or two 8-Ohm cabs. I'm wondering if changing the Ohm rating of a cab is possible. Here's why I wonder: if I buy one 4-Ohm cab, and need to expand later on, I would rather have to buy just one new cab instead of two.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You might want to bark up the 8ohm tree. If you need to expand, just add another 8ohm cab. Changing the impedance of a cabinet would mean changing the speaker(s), or some creative rewiring.
    Or, to simplify matters, you can get a 4ohm cab to get the maximum output from your amp, and adjust your amps volume as needed.
    Another deciding factor would be what combination of speakers will give you the tone you desire...just 1-15", 2-15", a combination of 10" and 15", or maybe 4-10", etc., etc.
    If having just one cabinet is a major priority, I would start off by trying a 4ohm 4x10" cabinet.
    Sorry for the little ramble. I hope I helped some.

3. josephm

josephm

Aug 25, 2000
    Thanks for the advice.

I guess the sound Im looking for is clarity with some decent (non-floppy) lows. I play a 4-stringer and am considering "upgrading" to a 5ver, so I want to be able to reproduce the low string. :)

One question: is it bad (or worse, harmful) for me to run a single 8-ohm cab with this head? I always thought that it was not a good thing.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Who told you that rubbish?
    The only thing that happens is that your amp will only deliver 60% of the power it would at a 4 Ohm load.
    Higher load - less power. Nothing else will happen.

5. i'm looking into an swr 4004, and i'm planning to start with the 2x10 and then add the 1x15 later on. that way i'll get a wider range and better portability, and if i'm just going to a small practice, i can leave the 1x15 at home, making things a lot easier.

6. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I'd suggest borrowing/renting an 8 ohm cab, maybe a 410, and see how the amp performs. I run my SWR Bass 350 into one 8 ohm Hartke 4.5 XL most of the time and it works great. Occasionally, I'll add the 115 XL (also 8 ohm) and really shake the house!

Craig