Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR California Blonde for electric bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Dec 2, 2003.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have some raven labs units (PMB-I, and PHA) coming and I plan on using them in conjunction with my four-track recorders to get a nice analog recording set-up going again. I plan on moving up to digital the digital world as well...

Anyways, I was considering the California Blonde because of its ease of transport, mic input and reverb for recording acoustic instruments as well as vocals. Any input on this is more than welcome (particularly with the vocals part) but my question is this:
    How does it stack up for electric bass? The frequency response seems pretty good (30z on up) but does it sound believable/usable for elec? I know it is not very loud at 120 watts, but if I need more volume I always have my Demeter/PLX/Epifani rig. It could be valuable asset and get even more consideration if it can be a decent bass amp as well... Thanks in advance guys and gals! :D :cool:

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I am thinking not. It's made for acoustic guitar, probably for an acoustic bass too. Maybe you could get away with it, I don't think so though.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Actually it works fine for elec bass. I have one and use it just for that.....primarily for my piezo powered Godin semi-acoustics, but lately have been using it with other electric basses. Great sound..and a very loud (and room filling 120 watts!).

Designed for "acoustic instruments" (and not just gtrs)......this indicates that the input is a very high impedence (to handle piezo PUs), and the voicing is deigned to be "open" and natural. Yet it can provide some massive bottom end! It does not exhibit the usual "peaks and valleys" that most bass amps have designed in as their signature sound (one reason why I dislike most amps!). It is much more the sound of your bass. It works great as a recording monitor as well...it has a very "true" sound; not excessively hyped in either end of freq spectrum as many amps are.

I use mine for just about all of my solo bass gigs. The mic input makes for easy setup, and allows me to chat with the audience a bit between tunes! 120 watts is loud enough for most places..I have even done band gigs with it ... and just ordered the powered extension cab to boost things a bit and run stereo.

LIke yourself, I was looking for something small and portable for solo and studio work after the demise of my SWR Baby Blue..the Cali Blonde really filled the bill, and I could not be happier.

I also use some Raven Labs stuff (MDB1,PHA1,PMB1 and APD1) in my bass rig..and recording rack (I am as ession bassist) and they too are really great for both live and recording.

Max

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Great! Thanks for the info... Looks like it might be somewhere next on the list then! ;)

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use mine for bass. I got it for my wife for her solo stuff and then started to use it for practice for bass. I called swr and they said it was made for bass as well. Works great.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actively looking for one now... thank you gentlemen! ;)