1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR comparison???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MADhoward, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. MADhoward


    Jan 10, 2005
    I am looking into getting an SWR setup. I am wondering about the differences between a 350 watt amp w/ a Golliath III vs. the Super Redhead combo. I play funk/rock/jazz/kinda jam band music. I need a rig for gigs. Mainly smaller venues but need to counter a maniacial drummer. Any input would be great. Thanks. :bassist:
  2. Quencher


    Jan 11, 2005
    SWR Thumps, its not that exspensive but you lose alot of top end ( which is what you want for funk)
    Gallien Krueger seems to be what fits your style more...but for versatility, and a sound you can take anywhere...look at Ampeg. Go with the 4X10 and at least 300 watts....you'll want the 15 later for lower tones, but hey, you're playin funk
  3. The Thinker

    The Thinker

    Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I've never heard anyone say that before. Are you thinking of the Workingman's series? The Pro stuff has plenty of top.
  4. Pickebass

    Pickebass Supporting Member

    Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd recommend the 410 simply because you're pushing more air. Are you looking at the 350x? I would probably recommend the SM500 or the 550x if the budget is a concern. You could probably find a used G III for around $400 and get a good head.

    I think the SWR redhead is around $1600. You can get a used GIII and a new 550x for around $1500
  5. I've got a SWR SM 900 which I play through a Yorkville 2x10 and for 90% of the time it does the trick. For the other 10% when there is no PA support I bring along a Yorkville 1x15.

    So if I had my choice to do it again, I'd probably get the Redhead 2x10 combo and perhaps buy the Son Of Bertha 1x15 for bigger venues,.... if not then I'd just rent when I needed it.

    Also, having the SM 900 and a SWR WM 12 combo for smaller gigs, I'm wishing for a combo more and more for the easy setup and teardown and with most of the higher powered combos these days you can add another cab when need be which makes them more versitile than alot of people let on.

    Plenty of high end in my SWR stuff.

    Hope that helps.
  6. JOME77

    JOME77 Supporting Member

    Aug 18, 2002
    I own a SM500 and a Goliath Jr III and Goliath III. A couple of years ago I A/B'd a SM400/Goliath Jr. III against a Super Redhead and it was very difficult to tell the difference. With a little EQ variations I could get about the same sound out each rig. Since I've gotten the SM500, I've played it through the Goliath Jr III and Goliath III several times. The Goliath Jr III sounds real good at low/moderate volumes but believe me when I say that if you're playing a medium to high volume gig, the Goliath III is capable of a much cleaner and punchier sound. The limiting factor of the Redhead is the 2-10 cabinet. Plus, with a separate head, you've got the flexability of bringing different cabinets to a gig.
    Not sure what 350 watt head you're considering but if you plug a Thunderfunk TFB-420 head up to the Goliath III, you're definitely cooking with grease! The SM500's been collecting quite a bit of dust these days! :)
  7. DougP


    Sep 4, 2001
    i have the Super Redhead. its plenty loud for me at 350 Watts. i'll pair it up with my Aggie GS112 at times when needed. this brings it to 450 Watts and the aggie helps alot on the low end. its a very clean amp. you might want to look at another brand if you want to do rock and funk. i have to run my ampeg pre into to get away from the squeeky clean SWR tone.
  8. MADhoward


    Jan 10, 2005
    thanks all for the input. I found a super redhead on the bay for not too much. But I still think I want the 4X10 cab.
  9. I second the Pro SWR stuff has plenty of top end.