1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Crest Eden Thunderfunk Markbass QSC going from heavy to much lighter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Allright guys for those who saw my recent QSC thread and others,

Been loving the ever living heck out of my SWR M2 Preamp but sufering the heavy weight delima especially with all this Spinal trouble I've been having.

I'm thinking the SWR Pre as well as the Thunderfunk and Eden stuff are cut from very similar molds especially concerning EQ correct?

Now the SWR has way more features but it coupled with a heavy hitting amp can be a real back killer.

So I've been runing the M2 Preamp into a Crest CA9 into SWR GIV 4x10 and SWR 1x15. There is no doubt this rig is making me go gaga in the Tone and Slammin department. Unfortunately it is one heavy mother.

Was thinking of moving to two 1x15's in place of the current setup, with something like the Thunderfunk 750 ontop of this at 4 ohms. Now this will not quite come close to the wallop of the current rig but would be considerably louder than Mark Bass stuff mentioned in my PLX1804 thread (been looking at the MB too).

My current 1x15 Cab is much easier to move than my 4x10 and at some point I might could convert it to NEO later on, plus I'm reall happy with the Tone I'm getting out of it.

What are some other suggestions in this area (Cabs\Heads\Pre Power), understanding my absolute love for the M2 and what kind of Clean Marine Tone this type of Pre will yield?

I realize there is a lot of gear to choose from these days.

I've been studying on using a PLX1804 with my Pre but I'd really like one small powerful amp instead of Stereo.Thats what made me think of the Thunderfunk. I might could live with 750 watts or so.

Also guys I know when I type I give the long version, it's just my screwed up personality.:eek:

2. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I dont know. that pre that you have and the Crest amp is one hard act to follow when you talk about guts and tone.. how do follow an opening act like that? its already a headliner by itself..
    Subscribed.

3. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    yes, those goliath 410 cabs are boat anchors. its gotta go. i would;
    if i wanted a modern tone, try a newer lightweight 410 box like epifani

if i prefer old school tone then i would run with 2 portable 1x15 cabs

the thunderfunk is simple. simple is good

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Orange 1x15s can sound new and old school. Portable too.
    Two would be amazing.

5. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    If you love the M2, keep it. The QSC is light enough - get that then focus on your cabs.

Ditch the quad except for very loud gigs. If you don't mind making more trips, get a pair of 1x12 speakers or a pair of 1x15's.

Who has to hear your rig, mostly? You, your band, or your audience? If it's you, look to elevating a cab instead of just having more watts.

My rig has always been enough, but for the loudest gigs I have a PA too. The wait for the Dr. Bass cabs can be appalling but the gear is good and is light, and the slope on the 1x12 boxes is cool.

Alternatively a couple of GoLight 115's might do you nicely. Or those neat little Eden 1x12's. But don't ditch the M2!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, if you're pushing that much wattage, I don't see how you'll be happy with anything less than what you already have for speakers. So I'd suggest just seeing if you can find a couple neo 410's that will do what you want and weigh the same as the SWR 15. Maybe check into SWR's Golights.

7. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Someone said a pair of 1x12s.. not a bad idea....
    do you want bottom.. try the aguilars.. the GS112s have huge botom. somewaht mid shy but so is SWR at times IMO.. so you may feel comfy.

I have been using Aggy GS112s for years 2 to 4 depending on whats neede... just sold 2 and got two Aggy DB112s the birchwood cabs.. their 1x12 cabs have lots of booty and punch and volume...then you can go to a smaller amp..

but dude that Crest that you have is hard to follow..

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just thought I'd throw this down...

The carvin bx1200 is a very loud amp (1200w), has a ton of good features and only weighs 23LBS... all in one integrated amp.

So you can shave off lots of weight yet still retain huge volume.

My .02