1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR crossover cap value question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CB3000, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I have the SWR Monitor 12 cabinet and the capacitor in the crossover network just broke free. it's old so i can't read the value. i can kind of make out "4.0J." is that the value? 4uf? i've seen 4.7 but not 4.0

I may be able to measure it but the lead broke off inside the cap so I may not be able to make a connection. anyone know? I may contacting SWR but that is not always quick or easy.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    4uf 5%.

3. Ok, thanks! Just seemed like an odd value.

4. Thanks!

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There's 4uf caps, it's a typical 1st order filter for 5khz on an 8ohm tweeter. 4.7uf would be closer to 4khz. If yours is a steeper filter, you'd have to work it out using the other component values.

6. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Is there only a 1st order crossover in these swr cabs?
    If it's a 3rd order crossover and if it's the 1st capacitor in the network then you should try to get as close to 4uf as possible since 3rd order crossovers are pretty sensitive to value changes.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not sure, but I have seen several bass cabs and some monitors with a simple single cap when they should be much steeper. Hence the "if yours is steeper....."

8. there is only 1 cap in this crossover. a cap and an L pad.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Then use a 4uf...not 4.7.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This is why a lot of tweeters in bass cabs sound harsh, they're not filtered steep enough/set too low. The harshness is the tweeter distorting/farting out from too much content below it's capability but hey...you can get a cap for 89 cents...a good filter might run you $20.