SWR, Crown, or QSC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malthumb, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Keep the SWR

1 vote(s)
  2. Spend $400 for the QSC RMX1450

7 vote(s)
  3. Spend $400 for the Crown CE1000

0 vote(s)
  4. Spend $600 for the Crown XS500

1 vote(s)
  1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Okay TB, help me spend my money (or not).

Current Set-up: Alembic F-1X preamp, Alembic SF-2 Superfilter (can also be used as a preamp), SWR SM500. 2 SWR Triad cabs (4 ohm).

I rarely use the preamp part of the SWR. I usually bypass it in favor of the Alembic preamps. I occasionally bi-amp.

What I'm considering: Replace the SWR SM500 with either.....
    * QSC RMX1450 (450W @ 4 ohms) $400
    * Crown XS500 (500W @ 4 ohms) $600
    * Crown CE10002AS (450W @ 4 ohms) $400

If I pick up any of the above,I'll more than likely sell the SWR SM500 (they're going about $650 used). I'm not really interested in spending more than I can get out of the SWR. I've noticed this newsgroup seems to have an affinity for the QSC PLX Series. How does the RMX Series measure up to that?
    I really would like to hear from you guys on this one. I'll more than likely pull the trigger this weekend, or decide to stay with the SWR.

FWIW - I am not unhappy with the SWR. Just doesn't seem right to have a redundant pre-amp I don't use. If I can get more / better power amp for what I can get out of the SWR, seems like a reasonable choice.

2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You do understand that those wattage ratings are per channel, right?

And you can bridge those two channels, so all of your choices are going to give you a lot more wattage than the SM500, whether you run them in stereo (biamped) or bridged.

(this is a good thing :))

The RMX series is just fine; the PLX series gets a lot of praise because they push serious wattage and they are MUCH lighter than most power amps. Of course, they do cost more, but then those visits to the chiropractor from hauling 70 pound power amps add up, too........what price for no back pain, ya know?
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yeah, I realized this. That's the whole reason for this exercize. I figure with the preamps that I have available, I can get more power by replacing the SWR with a power amp of similar cost, but much more power.

Moderators - Please edit poll to add the Crest CPX1500 at $400

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I say go for the RMX1450. I don't think that you can bridge it down to 2 ohms, but you can put the cabs in series and get it to 8 ohms, and bridge there. Those 1450's are awesome. But, my opinion might be a little biased, because i can't stand most of SWR's stuff.

5. I was looking at the same amps for my rig a while back.I chose the Crown CE1000 over the QSC 1450 only for the weight.The QSC is about 10 pounds heavier but puts out more power at 4 ohms bridged,a good indicator of real power.If weight isn't a problem the QSC would be a good choice.That being said I have no problems with the Crown,it puts out plenty of power for me.If cost wasn't an issue I would get a QSC PLX,again for the weight but the Crown isn't too bad to lug around.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Okay guys, thanx for the help. Not only have I made a decision, but I just spent the past 1 1/2 hours "tweaking" my new rig. It turns out weight was a deciding factor......

I hadn't really thought about it until Blue Bass 2 posted his thoughts. The SWR that I just took out of my rack weighed in at 20 lbs. Even so, my 6 space rack was plenty heavy. The QSC RMX1450 weighed in at a whoppin' 40 lbs. Both the Crest LT1000 (I know, wasn't one of the choices) and the Crown XS500 weighed in at 28 lbs. I got Guitar Center to come down on the price of the Crown XS500, and now I own one.

Thanx again, guys!! :bassist: :bassist:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice choice!! I am a Crown owner as well. They don't seem to get much credibility around here. Everyone is infatuated with QSC. Maybe if someone that works for Crown posted here, we'd hear way more about them. Then again, it is HARD to find flaws in any of QSCs gear.

I bought the XLS series for my first venture into the power/pre world. Not a thing wrong with it, it sounds awesome. I never realized bass could be so loud, and clean sounding. Next step for me will be the XS for sure.