SWR doesn't sound good in band?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 17, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm in the market for an SWR Goliath Sr, and I'm thoroughly set on one, a friend is telling me he thinks SWRs cabinets are too midscooped to cut through in band situations and that they just don't sound good. Anyone got any input into this? The music I'm playing is pop-rock/indie with just a drummer and guitarist.
  2. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    IMHO with the right head it should cut through like a knife.

SWR SM-900 Bridged Mono
    SWR Bass 750
    Eden Wt-800 Bridged Mono
    EBS TD-650 or Fafner
    Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600
    Mesa Boogie Big Block 750
    Pre/Power Set up w/1000+ watts
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The GK 1001RB-II isn't going anywhere.
  4. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Should sound just fine. It all depends on putting out enough clean power to drive the cab and whether you get full power at 8 or 4 ohms.

Your dealer should give you a return priviledge so you can try the cab out at rehearsal and see how they match up.

If it's not a good match with your GK head you may want to consider giving a GK cab a try.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Godsmack would disagree.... then again, their bassist uses 12 8x10's...
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 6x10 has a lot of mids, so did the old goliath 2
    don't worry about it
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Cuts through well enough for Jeff Ament and his 12 string bass.

8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, seeing as SWR kinda pioneered the modern 4x10 cab, I can't help but give that one a :rolleyes:

Would it be worth it to consider other cabs, too? Of course. The Goliath (and presumably the Senior) does sound somewhat scooped to my ears, but hey, every cab I've ever owned wanted to be EQed differently, so it's something you can easily address, IMO.
  9. Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    Logic would tell me that if SWR is still in business, it must be because their sound works for many bands. Yes, they may have some characteristics that can produce what your friend is talking about but I've seen plenty of people using Goliath Jr's and cutting through just fine.
  10. i would say SWR cabs don't sound good on their own, either, but that's really a matter of my preference and not anything that SWR did wrong (or right, for that matter).

if you're worried about its cut in a band setting, see if you can rent one before buying. but i wouldn't be worried with a GK head. unless you have the mid scoop engaged, there's plenty of midrange to cut.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My Goliath Senior didn't just cut through, it caused blunt-force trauma. I only ran mine with an SM-500, but the tone was awesome. If you can haul it, it will serve you well.
  12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    If you always listen to others when you're looking to plunk down cash on something to fullfill a need based on your own personal taste, you will often be let down.
  13. i used my peavey head with a small SWR cab - i think it was a 2x12 - at one show, and it sounded great. not as punchy as my usual setup but real growly, and definitely audible.
  14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    have you considered Rogue?
  15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Actually, the original SWR cabs were EDEN's designs, back when David Nordschow (mistakenly referred to frequently as "David Eden") worked for SWR before going it alone with the Eden cabs. If anyone should get credit for SWR's original 4x10's, its him.
  16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Actually, I believe that Robbie Merrill uses their 12-Stack 4x12" (he was the one that suggested the change from ox-blood tolex/black grill to black tolex/chrome grill) but you're right in some insane amount - the last I had heard it was 8 cabinets, 4 750X heads and 4 Power 750 power amp slaved, and a total of 6,000 watts onstage. :eek:

...and then he went and added at least 2 more cabs and 2 heads/amps. 'Cause that bump up to 7,500 watts made all the difference. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the original poster needs to play some Mike Keneally recordings or live shows with Bryan Beller through 2 SWR Goliath Sr.'s for his "SWR doesn't cut through" friend and demand an apology in writing. Hell, I'll make it easy and give you a link to some representative MP3's. ;)
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm also wondering about this. I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and I think I want to get 2 4x10 Goliath III's but I'm worried about A: the mix B: the cutting though.

I've played it at a store and it sounded nice but that's a lot of money so I want to look at all aspects.
  18. I use an Avatar cab with my SWR 350x
    No complaints so far
  19. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My bad then... SWR had *nothing* to do with pioneering the modern 4x10 cab... :rolleyes: ;)
  20. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    BTW: Reality Check.

I've heard top-of-the-line Glockenclang, EA, Eden, Aguilar, etc...
    sound like crap and not "cut through in band situations."

I never cease to be astounded by the number of "know-it-alls"
    who don't even know how to dial in their rig.