Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR, Eden, Carvin, Whats good, what ain't?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvtwin, Jan 26, 2001.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Finally a forum to ask other bass players what they think!! I'm a current 5 String bass w/ an onboard (Aguilar) amp playing through a (Tired) Trace Elliot 250AH / 4-10 cab and would like to upgrade to some new equipment that handles the the low B better. I'm not much of a pop and slap guy and like more of the big balls low end kinda sound without getting all muddy. I've been looking at SWR and Eden and someone suggested Carvin. I'm not familiar with Carvin sound nor they're quality and I was hoping someone could give me some constructive thoughts on these choices and perhaps suggest a few thoughts as well. I attended the 2001 NAMM show, but was so overwhelmed with all the gear, I thought my head would explode! Anyways, I just would just like to get a big sound without having to hire a road crew to help me from show to show. Thanks to all who comment! Keep the Bottom End!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Saw your post over at the Carvin board but didn't answer since a lot of the posters tend to be Carvin fanatics and some of them have never owned anything else as good or better. Guilt by association.

Anyway, I love SWR, Eden (especially because Eden has a character in its bottom, like Ampeg). But I play Carvin - more bang for the buck. I almost always play live and they get the job done with ease, they're built like bank vaults, they are EXTREMELY flexible (more controls than NASA), and they keep their technology cutting edge. When I've done studio work, I most often go direct.

I find the SWR's and Eden's are "prettier" sounding at high levels and if music critics deciding what I was playing was "art" were in my audiences, I'd play them. But beyond the stage apron, it's usually a bunch of people out for a good time. Also, if I knew I was going to be trading up soon, I'd go SWR/Eden, since they have higher resale value, have the name recognition. ("Carvin? You mean Dana Carvin (sic) on Saturday Night Live?")

Bottomline, you can find these awards given to Carvin instead of SWR or Eden. I don't think the SWR's/Eden's are any less deserving, but the price point thing bowls tends to win reviewers over.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I haven't owned a cab by any of these vendors. But I do currently own the Carvin Cyclops combo. It is the 600w head on a 1x15, 2x8 + horn cab. I like that combo amp a lot. If I were to have a choice in the matter, I would rather have the 2x10 model and a 1x18 cab for better versatility.

I hear that Carvin cabs are not that efficient. However, if I were to judge by any of the Carvin equipment I have played on I would give them a chance. Paticularly at their prices.

Regarding SWR and Eden... never owned 'em... Everyone I know who uses them swears up and down, left and right, inside and out that they are the best.

To me... the Carvin gear is such a upgrade from my old Peavey/Gallien Kreuger rig that I can't even comprehend that better exists. But after a while I am sure that I will get used to what I have and want the next best thing.

Maybe a good way to attack this issue would be for you to decide how much you want to spend and how loud you want to get. That might make up your mind for you.

4. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Hey Rickbass - thanks for the reply and I think your right about the other bass site - it appears to be very bias! But thats cool - gotta feel good bout your gear. I guess my bottom line was if Carvin gear could take the abuse on and off stage. I do alot of shows and travel quite a bit and that beats up the best of the best after awhile. Thats one main reason why I stayed away from tube amps. They sound great but I don't want to have replace tubes every two years! I'm not too worried about resale value, If I find the gear I like, I'll use it for a long while, provided it's not given me break down headaches! going by my local Carvin dealer this weekend and try out the gear and let my ear do the judging! They're prices just seemed too low and that made me wonder about they're quality. You know the old "you get what you pay for" noise! I'll let you know what I think. It's just good to hear another opinion. You know how we bass players can be at times, almost worse then (YIKES) guitar players! Thanks for reply!

5. jvtwin you sound like you know what you want, so here's my tuppence worth:

Set a budget and try as much gear as you can - don't let brand identities or opinions get the better of your ears. Let's face it, you are going to be recording/gigging with it, not me!:)

Having said that I love my Bass 350......;)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Carvin is good, SWR is better, Eden is bitchen. You decide.

7. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    out of amps i've played, i prefere sunn, ampeg, swr, eden, and mesa's. Mesa-boogies are great. If you have limited budget i would look into gk heads (400rb maybe). For watt preference, all you need is 200-300 watts with a 2 10 cab and a 1 15 or 1 18 cab. If you want more, people invented a thing called a PA. My favorite head would have to be a vintage 200W tube sunn or ampeg (i'm saving my money for one). You can get more kick out of tube heads. Peaveys overate there wattage. I once got a peavey practice amp, i wanted around 15-25 watts, it sounded like 15-25 watts, it said 50 watts. peavey overates the wattage, unlike fender, they underate.