Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR/EDEN hybrid advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoot, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Zoot

Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    As some of you might have seen in my 'Blown SWR speaker' thread...I have blown one of the speakers in my SWR combo and am unable to replace or repair it here in the UK.

So my plan is to remove the Head from my SWR combo and use it as a "stand alone amp head" to power a different cab, such as the Eden D210XLT or D210XST.

Here is the Specifications of the SWR head followed by the Specs of two EDEN 2X10s. Would anyone be able to advise me if this would work as I don't have a very good understanding of such things?
    SWR SUPER REDHEAD COMBO
    POWER HANDLING
    (speaker section) 350 Watts RMS continuous program
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    (Power Amplifier): -3dB @ 20Hz and 40KHz
    SPL
    105 dB (-3dB @ 45Hz and 15KHz)
    POWER OUTPUT
    350 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    400 Watts @ 2.67 Ohms (with 8 ohm extension speaker)
    450 Watts @ 2 Ohms (with 4 ohm extension speaker)
    Note: Internal speaker impedance is 4 ohms.
    CROSSOVER
    Third order, 6db rolloff, 18db butterworth high pass 4KHz turnover. The crossover is
    located inside the Super Redhead's chassis.
    EDEN D210XLT Specs Speakers EC-1060XL Cast Frame Tweeters E-2700 Cast Bell Crossover 3.5KHz @ 18dB Power Handling 350W RMS Frequency Response 48Hz - 14KHz Sensitivity 103dB SPL Impedance 4-8Ω
    EDEN D210XST Specs Speakers EC-1060XL Cast Frame Tweeters E-2700 Cast Bell Crossover 3.5KHz @ 18dB Power Handling 450W RMS Frequency Response 30Hz - 14KHz Sensitivity 103dB SPL Impedance 4-8Ω

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    From a matching standpoint, it should work just fine. The power handling and impedance of those cabs is suited for use with that head.

One caveat: I've not removed a head from a Super Redhead, but I have pulled the heads from other combos - you *might* find that the circuit boards are exposed once you pull it, and you may need a separate box to mount it into.

I noticed you said you blew *one* of the speakers. Since it is a 4-ohm 2x10 cab, it almost certainly has a pair of 8-ohm drivers wired in parallel. If you wanted to, you could simply disconnect the wires from back of the blown speaker, mount it back in place (making sure the disconnected wires are covered/taped and unable to short out), and use the SWR as a single 8-ohm 10" combo amp (you wouldn't want to crank it in this way, since all the power now feeds one driver, but it would be usable for medium-volume practice). Then, when you need high volume, just disconnect the combo's speaker and plug into the external Eden (or other) cab.

This would also make it much easier to return to original configuration, if you should run across that elusive 10" driver one day.

3. Depending on what the impedance of each cab is (either 4 or 8 ohms- it's not clear what YOU have) you're good because the amp is able to handle down to 2 ohms.

4. Zoot

Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    Im glad that my idea seems okay. I was depressed cos I thought I was gonna be stuck with an expensive combo that I'll never be able to use again as I cant replace the speaker.

Beefdog - you are right about the exposed wires. I've already pulled it out and had a look....but making a new wooden box to hold it shouldn't be a problem.

I just need to decide what cabs to buy. I'm gonna steer WELL clear of SWR though. I love the sound, but you just cant get replacements in the UK.

5. Zoot

Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    Out of interest...before I head out to hear some 2X10s...what in your opinions would be better suited to my SWR Head and playing style

I play Country and Pop/Rock with Finger-style and I love a nice clean precise tone with no grit or distortion.

Would maybe an Aguilar 2x10 Cab suit better than an Eden???

Please tell me your opinions and experiences!!!