swr effects loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david_l_perry, May 28, 2003.

1. I run an SM900 bass head

If I have my effects (Boss VF-1) in the effects send/return Loop at the back but turned off, the natural sound of the bass is changed but not if I plug straight in to the front end. This makes using the effects loop impractical (cant understand why the sound changes).

I assumed this was just a quirk of my older model, and I am about to purchase a new 2003 model. Problem is that My dealer is some distance away, so its not something I can go and simply try out.

Does anybody have the same problem
    Cheers, Dave
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Changes in what way?

How are you running the effects blend? Are you using effects like compression or distortion(these don't work well in loops)?
  3. The effects I use are Phaser/chorus(typical Thin Lizzy effect) and delay (for a Bass solo spot...Yeehaa).

But its not the effects that sound bad. Its the sound of the bass when the effects unit is bypassed. ie when no effect is used, the bass sound is different than if I plug straight into the front end.

The bass sound becomes less defined and a bit more middle biased..hard to describe a bass sound I dont like...it simply sounds like the EQ has been tweeked by the ghost of SWR.

If the effects mix is turned all the way to wet, then the bass sound with the effects turned off is normal, likewise if the effects mix is turned all the way to dry it still sounds as it should..ie as if I had plugged straight in to the front end...its just when the mix is set in the middle that the sound of the bass acts as though it is being eq'd differently..
    Hope this clears it up.