SWR eng. grills

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ****yBassist, Dec 19, 2001.

1. ****yBassist

Nov 12, 2001
    I recently acquired a new henry 8x8, though I love the look of it, I prefer the swr eng. over the swr sound grills. Does anyone know where I might be able to come across one?
  2. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    ...like the old ones, that is.

SWR doesn't stock the old grilles, though you could always ask in case they have one lying around.

One idea would be to have the ugly chrome grille powder coated in the color of your choice. If you choose a nice color you'll have a unique cab, to say the least. My powder coater has hundreds of colors to choose from.

Or you could also just have a new grille made. Two companies I've used are www.tchweb.com and www.penn-fabrication.com. They'll make you up a grille to your specs.

3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i like the new grills....
    regardless.. how about a can of flat black spray paint?
  4. Both of my SWR cab grill are the type with silver and black "hammered" metal look that Steve Rabe was using just before the chrome came out.
    Used for a short time, I think '96 to '98?
    It's my fav.
  5. is there any actual differnence between the sound and the eng SWR cabs? or is it just the color of the grill? and tonal differences??
  6. SWR products evolve.
    It's just that the "hammered silver and black" grill was the epitome of Steve Rabe's SWR Engineering.
    More of a symbol then anything else.
  7. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I guess if they gave me one I'd take the chrome getup. But I sure wouldn't pay for one. YUK!
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Does any one else have trouble with all the chrome flaking off?!
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my bass350's chrome flaked a bit, but my cabs or IOD haven't.

i was thinking about having my grilles powdercoated when i get some extra bread. metallic blue perhaps - that'd be badass.
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    There should be a fab shop in your area that would be able to shear and form up a grill for you, and it shouldn't cost alot. I work at a fab shop and operate a CNC laser cutting machine, but I havn't got around to making myself any custom grilles yet.

incidentally, were you thinking of the older expanded metal grilles? I liked those the best and they are a little more robust than the flat perforated style grill.

Hey, this might be an interesting side business fabbing custom speaker grilles. Any thoughts?? :D
  11. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Six months pass...chrome still looks awful to me!
  12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you like this type of grill on the crate.
    you can buy that at homedepot and lowes.
    and just paint black.

13. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i have a brand new goliath (4x10). powdered grill
    that i'm not using.

i'd sell it for shipping charges and the $20 i paid for it if someone is interested.