Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR eq settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shackman, Mar 11, 2002.

1. So i have an swr sm-400s head and i lost the manuel that showed all the suggested ways to eq the amp for different genres. I liked a few of those a lot and since i lost it cant really figure out anything i like by just messing around with it by ear. If anyone has this manuel and could send me a copy of the page with the eq settings i would be very, very grateful!

mike

2. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey--

You really want a cure? Sell that POS and buy a '72 SVT---you'll never go back

Andy

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Again, does SWR make basses?? Nah, didn't think they did.

This belongs in the AMPS forum.

Moved.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska

:rolleyes:

well.... i think ( think.. not know ) that the preamp is the same as the sm500? with better power amp?

okay i have the picture.. its too big.. well i dont know what im doing so that has something to do with it.

check out www.swrsound.com Products > Pro Series > SM-500 > Suggested Settings

5. I like SWR allot more then Ampeg speaking from experience, the bright modern tone that I can get from a Bass 350 wasn't something I could get from my SVTs. Pretty nice; I'm thinking of getting another 350 and 2x10 or 1x15 so I can run two signals at once. One Smilie Face the other low-midrangy and bassy... Dream on Salty, dream on.

Gain: 1:00
    Enhancer: 12:30
    Bass: 2:30
    Middle: 9:00
    Freq: 580Hz
    Treble: 2:30
    Transparency on.
    Limiter off.

6. Here's my SWR SM 400-S settings

Limiter - 1:30
    Aural Enhancer - 1:30
    Bass - 1:30

1st slider - boost one notch
    knob - 10:30

2nd slider - boost 3 notches
    knob - 11:00

3rd slider - cut 2.5 notches
    knob - 4:00

4th slider - boost 1 notch
    knob - 5:00 (full right)

Treble - 1:30
    Tranparency - 12 noon
    ----------------------------------------------

...you can make an SWR sound like an Ampeg,
    but you can't make an Ampeg sound like an SWR.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Leave everything set flat.

Then get a SABDDI to put in front of it. :D

9. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Dude!

The settings are usually on the site. I just went to the page with the SM-500 and there was a link to the suggested settings page under the heading Related Information.

Give that a try. (I think the 400 and the 500 had similar controls, right?)

10. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    if you go to the vintage section they have the manual for all the old ish. also, if you email em and ask for another one theyll send you one.

11. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I really get a kick out of the COOL ampeg fanatics. I have owned 2 svt's in the past. My early 70's one sounded like a big fat flabby p.o.s. but the second one from 1980 sounded much tighter. I later went to an swr pre amp and power amp and it blew the ampegs away. If you like a big flabby loose sound i would recomend an early 70's svt. If you want a nice warm tight puncy sound stick with your swr.

12. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Just think of the economies of scale that could be achieved by the sole amp manufacturer if we all had the same preferences