Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR GAS!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Jan 2, 2002.

1. OK I've tried to lie to myself for a while saying to myself my SVTs are killer in tone, no amp can be better I mean it's Ampeg! The other day I went to the GC and I thought it would be fun to try out a few basses through different amps. So I went to the other side of the room and plugged into this huge SWR rig they had set up. A SM-900 head powering two cabs a 2x15 w/tweeter and a 1x18 (I actually set it all up, it pissed off the people at the GC.) I picked up an Ibanez BTB 1005 started playing and heard myself yelling in my head "*** Damnit!" The tone was perfect, blew my SVT setup away. I couldn't believe it, I was really angry with myself for blowing my money on Ampeg.

After the Ibanez, I used an MIA Fender deluxe P5, a Musicman Stingray four string, Yamaha Nathan East signature bass, a Fender Standard Jazz V, Warwick Thumb through 5, and Streamer fretless 4 string... I was there a while. I was very angry/ happy with it. By the time I left the guy at the front desk asked, "Did you have fun?" After spending almost a whole day there that's understandable. I replied, "I really don't know." The thing is I have a record case of GAS now!

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    try TUMS dude. Do you really need a new rig?

otherwise, yeah that sucks. there's nothing worse than finding gear that sounds better than the stuff you decided to buy

TUMS = Truly Understand your Musical Situation

3. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    keep focused now! don't do what I did over the years. GAS put me into big time debt!!!!! Do you really want to spend/charge money for a new rig?

Actually I do not like Ampeg amps or cabs. They don't sound that great to my ears. I owned the swr 900 for a long time and it served me well until I went fretless only. SWR gear is top notch stuff so... let me know what happens! hahaha

4. As of now no I don't think it would be very wise to dish out the money for a rig like that but if I ever need to upgrade to something bigger. I will go for that one! I can't believe how good that 18" woofer sounded, it was great coupled with the 2x15. The lows were tremendous! The B string was so clear... I was very happy with the tone, too bad it cost so much...

5. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    Sell and scrape together what you got, and go get it. Y'only live once, and life's too short for anything other than SWR.

6. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    that's what i told myself but I'm payin for it now so... think clearly what you want to do! being in debt isn't fun :mad:

Although I was in a giggin'/recording band at that time and I was always trying to get the best tone. But then again its true, life is short, don't waste anytime, get an SWR rig and trade in that Ampeg!:p

7. SasquatchK

SasquatchK

Dec 30, 2001
    Oh man thank god this thing came up. I posted a few days ago about wanting to get a swr rig up and well someone said I could get a better ampeg one. It confused me.

Fortunatly this clears it up.

Although I'm still in thought about which exact swr setup to get... Any suggestions?

And me personally I would go for the better swr sound.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    those swr amps and cabs really are something, aren't they? especially that big ben...

can you imagin playing P-nut's rig?

3 SM-900's
    powering 2 goliath 3's
    2 big bens
    and a henry the 8x8

but you could get that tone with alot less than that rig would cost: if you got a used SM-400/400S/500, and a triad or son of bertha, you could pair that up with your 2x10 you have now. i run a 2x10 + triad, and it has plenty of bottom. (i think the bigger cabinet of the triad vs. the SOB helps in that regard). or you could even get a grand prix and use your SVT as a poweramp for now...

all i'm saying is that the killer SWR tone exists in all SWR pro stuff, not just the SM900 with two giant cabs.

jason

9. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i have a bass 750 and a henry...i love it. i've been eyeing the big ben 18 lately...i totally don't need it, i mean, i already have 3 cabs, BUT...it would rock the house.

i would definitely trade in the ampeg rig for an swr...only take a TUMS if you take stock of your financial situation decide it's just too tight...otherwise kick it. ;)

10. Why would anyone even think of getting an SWR when they have ampeg :confused:

I mean that would be like being married to britney Spears and Fantisizing about Rosie O'Donnel :eek: :eek: GROSSSSS

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I f@rt in Ampeg's general direction.

12. Yeah the Ampegs were fun, but I think I'm ready to move up to a big boy's bass amp. The clarity of the SWR gear is great, not as distorted as my SVTs and the the tone control is allot better... In the store I used two EQ settings on the SM-900 which both sounded consistent and fat on every bass. I can't do that with my SVT.

I started off by boosting the bass and treble +3dB plus the aural enhancer (one of the coolest features) and the Limiter put in to taste, on the semi parametric channel one I boosted 150Hz +5 dB and 6.25kHz +5db, then cut 570Hz -9dB. That really created a great slap tone on all the basses and brought out the top end snap from the Stingray's humbucker's bottom coil, plus the fretless' tone was great! The other one was more suited for finger style, boosting 90Hz +6dB, cut 620Hz -3dB and 2kHz -5dB. That brought out the great lows from the Fender Jazz and P5. The Warwick thumb came in big all around. Huge!

I'm amazed by it.

13. Hey, Fearandloathing, read the damn posts! And if you are here to flame SWR, shove it up your Ampeg!

14. AaPee

AaPee

Apr 30, 2001
    Finland, Hankasalmi
    I know what you are talking about man! I have had SWR's for many years and pissed pure honey since... They are so tasty. Like they are saying in their ad, "Feeling is believing!"

AaPee
    :p

15. ...No it's more like being married to Britney Spears and lusting after Angelina Jolie; just as attractive but knows how to do more tricks. ;) :D

Seriously, I have to try out the rig you suggested W5s I'm keeping the Ampeg as a toy for the "rock stuff" but Ampeg sucks for jazz and funk which I have really grown attached to. As apossed to when I bought my first rig which I was sort of pressured into buying.

16. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    that's right, I'm married to Britney Spears :D

17. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    P-Nut just recently added a Mo' Bass to his arsenal and a Megoliath. I just bought a Mo' Bass and I am not yet sure if I like it enough to keep it, I am having trouble getting the effects loud enough. If anyone knows a trick to this, PM me!

18. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Amen!:D

19. So that was where the smell came from.... I was wondering about that. That's OK. When you guys are redlining your puny SWRs and Edens in a vain effort to be heard I'll let you use my SVT :D.

20. ;) I believe the "I can't hear my amp" thread is about an ampeg. :D