1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Golaith Jr III--Stock Speaker Weight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knigel, Mar 31, 2015.

1. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Hi all!

I have a lovely 4 ohm SWR Goliath Jr III. I love everything about except 1) it's a 4 ohm cab and 2) the weight. It's not unbearable, but my back is getting screwed up (not from the cab, from life) and I'm thinking about replacing the speakers with the Genz / Faital NEO speakers on Avatar's website. I could also make this an 8 ohm cab, get another Goliath Jr, and rock a vertical pair. That would be super duper.

Does anyone know the weight of the stock speakers? The cab weighs 55lbs, and the NEO speakers weigh 5 each, so I'm hoping to get the total weight a hair under 40 lbs. (Well, that would mean the stock speakers would have to weigh 12.5 lbs each--is that possible?) The stock speakers sound terrific, so if it isn't going to save much weight I will scrap the idea.

Also, without getting crazy sciencey, any thoughts if these faitals (10PRO300) would work well in the Goliath?

Thanks!

16801780570_d5cc14f372_z.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. I tried Eminence 2510 to make it a lighter gruntier 4 ohm cab. It chuffed badly and wasn't appreciably lighter for the neo weight saving.

3. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    That's what I'm afraid of--dropping 300 beans and not getting an appreciable difference. Good tip!

Mvilmany likes this.
  4. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I have that cab, and I would think taking those speakers out would ruin its characteristic tone.

Lately, I'm finding it a bit heavy to carry around frequently. I'll probably sell it and get something newer that's an lighter, louder, and deeper.