Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath 3 -How much Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowmid1, Aug 24, 2004.

1. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a Goliath 3, 4x10 cabinet rated at 700 watts rms. What is a safe amount of power to use on this cabinet? SWR says not to exceed their rms ratings? How rugged are the PAS drivers they use?

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm not sure about the durability of SWR gear... but I can only assume that their top-line 4x10 is rugged enough to be used in the same scenarios as other brand cabs are.

I have a 4x10 with 600W RMS power... and I've ran 1000Watts into it bridged before. Also, I'm running a 1x15 with 300RMS at 450Watts for my current rig.

You could probably put a good 1200Watts into that sucker and be safe. The more important factor is that you dont have to push your amp too hard to be heard... or else your signal will clip... and your speakers will die a horrible, bloody, violent death :eek:

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can run a truckload of power into it - just be careful to listen to how the speakers are doing - when they start to get overpowered you'll know