1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Goliath 3 Jr Vs. WM 4x10 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 28, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hello everybody!

I was wondering how much better was the SWR goliath series compared to the new Workingman`s Pro series.

I have a a goliath Jr. and yamaha 1x18. Sounds good, buy i cant move the 18 for gigging. I may have the chance to trade the 2x10 for a Workingmans 4x10.

How is the difference in souynd quality? (Pros and cons of both)
    How much volume can i have with the 4x10? how much lows?

(i have a yamaha 500+500 power amp)

Thanks for any input!

2. From my experience the main difference is in the power handling and the build quality - the G3 handles more power before breaking up and has better speakers and finishing... the WM looks and sounds good for it's price, but the Goliath is just plain better.

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Having used both...quite a bit.....I have to say in my opinion the WM series is junk compared to the Goliath series.

The WM series can't take a third of the volume that the regular Goliath cab's can without distorting. I used to run two WM 4x10's through my setup at the time (Ampeg SVP-Pro/SVT-1500) and also through two Goliath Jr.'s.... The Jr.'s would totally beat out the two 4x10's in every aspect in my book.

If you're considering SWR, I would really head towards the Goliath/Pro series if you can.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    So even the 2x10 will sound louder (and better) than the 4x10???

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    In my opinion and experience with both cab's............. yes. The 4x10 distorts at a lower range than the 2x10.

I remember I did a show with two SWR 4x10's powered off of my stand-by Hartke 7000. One was a Goliath III and the other was a WM 4x10. The sound guy told me he wouldn't allow two 4x10's on the small stage and there was a guy there with a Goliath Jr. I put it in place of the WM 4x10 and it made a ton of difference.