1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Goliath 410 vs golight 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreq1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

Mar 26, 2006
    Stockholm Sweden
    Someone who has tested the new SWR golight 410 (Neo)?
    I wonder if there is any big difference between the Goliath 410 and the golight 410 Neo. (besides the weight)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    subscribed...

3. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Sorry I can't comment on the golight, but maybe this is close or at least will give you a bump.
    I have a mini-fridge version of the SWR 2-10 Goliath JR. and 1-15 Son of Bertha that I stack. Doesn't look very threatening but it turns some heads when it's fired up with the SWR 750X head. I run with the master at around 2:00 and the limiter about the same and it sounds great. In opinion, the difference your going to see with the golight is with the goliath, there is going to be more natural low end without having to boost it. The enclosure makes a difference. My band has 2 very nice subs for our PA so this is not an issue with my setup. I'm not too sure it would be anyway for most clubs. I love being able to just cart around my cabs with one hand.

4. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

Mar 26, 2006
    Stockholm Sweden
    So you think the Goliath 410 has fatter Low End than the golight 410. well, that's the most common opinion about neodymium speakers vs. traditional, heavy magnets speakers. and I agree, in most cases that's the way it is.
    But I think I go for the golight 410 anyway ... and let's hope we're wrong about the Lows this time :D

I've read this statement - The golight series neodymium speakers were developed during the same extensive testing sessions that produced 2007’s Goliath (Series IV) speakers and are specifically voiced to closely match Goliath Series IV tone and power handling.

5. The latest high quality neo speakers really sound no different than old-school heavy ones IME. 1st generation neo's were maybe not so great-took awhile to sort it out, but they did. The low end of my UL-310, at 47lbs, is actually deeper and fuller than that of my trusty old GoliathIII, at 95 or so lbs. The UL is 3/4" plywood, braced, so no compromise there. Just lighter but stronger magnets in the speakers. I suspect this is the case with the Golight as well. There's a 4x10 8ohm at my local dealer-I picked it up, and wow it's light. Was afraid to try it out, can't afford it right now!

6. Has anyone done the Neo swap to a GIII cab? I've been contemplating this as the 90lb cab is getting a bit much as I'm loading and unloading at least every other day at this point. I really don't want to loose the bottom you get from traditional speakers but it sounds like maybe SWR did it right? I will say though, you don't see many hi end FOH/concert systems using neo magnets and I'm sure there's a reason for that. Most cabinet guys will tell you out of good tone, weight and volume you only get to pick two and out of those two I'd take tone and volume. I like my live sound to be as true as possible, but also have to compete with two shredder 4x12 300 watt Mesa monster guitar stacks 90% of the time. So if the neos are gonna sacrifice tone for weight then I'll stick with my 90lb box which isn't much considering eden D series 410 cabs are in the 120 lb ball park.

7. Wow, zombie thread. I love SWR cabs and I have the golight jr 210 and the golight 115 which I stack on occasion. My opinion is that the 210 is identical in every single way with every generation of the Goliath 210's soundwise. They really went out of their way to voice the cabs with the neo drivers to sound like the ceramic ones. I got the 210 jr for small room applications, but in truth, I like the 115 better as it's voiced a bit lower. I never played the Son of Bertha 115, but I have tried the Big Bertha 215, and the golight is definitely in the ballpark. Compare the golight 410 with the Goliath 410 and I think you'd find they are near enough to identical that, in a mix, you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference. If you are on the fence about it, just snatch one before the prices skyrocket because of the currently dwindling neo supply. If it doesn't fit your needs, trade it away for the Goliath. You will have no trouble getting someone to take it off your hands.

8. Just wanted to add also that the drivers in the golight series are crazy efficient. I have found that they are quite a bit louder than the ceramic versions. I have never had volume issues with my cabs. Two golight 410s or a megoliath neo version would pretty much overturn city busses.

9. I'm goin to search around to see if someone has one in stock locally so I can play through it before I pull the trigger. I'm really wanting to get into lighter cabs, but not enough to sacrifice tone. I hope the golight sound as good as I'm hearing cause 56lbs would be AWESOME!