swr goliath 4x10 vs. ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist286, Mar 8, 2004.

1. swr 4x10

5 vote(s)
  2. ampeg 8x10

13 vote(s)
  1. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    I tried the search function and i didn't turn up much on this. I am wondering wether you would spend money on a hi-fi 4x10 or a massive ampeg the goliath goes for $850 and the ampeg goes for around $900. I just need something to handle my new head. It's 1250w @ 4ohms
  2. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    depends on what you're into I guess. For rock and loud music in general I think the ampeg 810 wins it hands down. The SWRs were always to bright for me. I don't slap though so it's not a sound I'm looking for.
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you can get a better deal on the goliath 3 @ musiciansbuy.com... i have one and it is nice, 700 watts, but it is bright, although the tweeter level is adjustable... easier to transport than an 8x10 too... :bassist:
  4. You really need to put these 2 cabinets side by side, listen, lift, and then decide. They sound totally different, their portability is totally different and there is just no way to write in a forum much that can help you. Kinda like describing how to ride a bike. You just have to get on the thing and try it for yourself.
  5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Speaking of good deals, I'm looking to sell my SWR Goliath III... and rhode islands isnt too far from me.... (PM me for details).

6. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    hey if i can get it for a good price i'll definatly be driveing up to see you. if possable i would liek to speak to you on the phone too. pm me back.
  7. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I've used SWRs for years and I say turn that tweeter down. I use it barely turned up. It's a 150 watt foster horn so it's going to scream if you have it 1/2 way up. I use mine barely on. Just cause it has it doesn't mean you have to use it. And I agree they are two different animals and it is really based on the sound you want to hear and the type of music you play. IMHO the SWR is more versatile and is capable of Rock SVT tones. Being "HIFI can mean you get what you put in it. An Ampeg 8x10 has a very specific character.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Both sound so different, you'd have to take a listen for yourself to decide. I've owned both cabs at one time.

The things I liked about the Goliath-III:
    1. Punchy and loud. It did'nt break up at high volume levels. I rarely if ever used the tweeter.
    2. Power handling- 700 watts RMS
    3. Solidly built and it had quality components, namely the P.A.S. drivers.
    4. Portability. 89 lbs
    I don't have any negative things to say about the Goliath-III.

The things I liked about the Ampeg 810E:
    1. Massive wall of sound
    2. Good midrange emphasis IMO.
    3. It of course had the signature Ampeg sound-which I like.

My complaint about the 810E:
    1. It was a pain to load, unload, and carry up a flight of stairs(165 Lbs).

"Your mileage may vary." :)