Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath II Cab wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Didn't see a cabinets forum so I hope this is the right place.
    I have an SWR Goliath II and the wiring has been ripped away from the speakers and crossover. It doesn't appear to be as simple as just red to red, black to black.
    Can someone tell me how to rewire this pup? I e-mailed SWR for a schematic but they never responded back to me. I'd hate to have to take it into someone cause it's just a few solders.
    So i've just been using my triad for the time, but I miss the 4x10's.
    Thanks!
    Peace:)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    OK...here we go.

Before you start, you need to check to make sure that the wiring terminals on your PAS 10s are tight. The screw that secures the terminal to the frame is also responsible for making a good electrical connection between the terminal and the voice coil. I've owned two Goliath IIs and at least two drivers in each cabinet had loose connections. I just had a spare PAS 10 reconed and it came back from the reconer with a loose connection. It's a bad design as far as I'm concerned especially since you need a right angle phillips screw driver to tighten the screws....

Now for rewiring...

The woofers run full range...

There should be two long white and two long black wires comming off the back of the banana plug on the crossover. I forget which is which but the positive will be connected to the red banana terminal.

Connect those wires to the positive (red) terminals of one of the top speakers, and one of the bottom speakers. Connect the other two long wires (the other color) to the negative (black) speaker terminals of the other top and bottom speakers. Take two pieces of wire (18 Ga minimum) if you don't have the originals and connect the unconnected negative (black) of top speaker to the unconnected positive (red) of the other. Repeat this on the bottom row of speakers.

What you have just done is connect the upper in lower rows of speakers in series...the wiring from the crossover places the two rows in parallel.

I'm not sure if you need help with the tweeter too, but its positive terminal connects to the center terminal of the L pad (tweeter level control)...although there may be a jumper from the L pad back to the light bulb...I don't remember clearly. If you need help with this let me know and I can send you a picture or something.

Have fun!!!!

3. Thanks Bro,
    Wish me luck!...
    PEace

4. Lewis Young

Lewis Young

Oct 16, 2014
    I have a swr 4x10 with horn also. I believe I messed up the wiring when I replaced the woofers. The cabinet sounds horrible. Can you send me a wiring picture??

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the wiring was physically ripped out, how the hell did that happen??

But I digress, to add to BillyB's post, ensure that the terminal strips on each driver is not broken and that the tinsel leads to the voice coil are undamaged. You can check each driver with a 9V battery and watch the cone move in and out as you apply and disconnect the battery.

When you finish the repair, the same battery can test to ensure that all the drivers are operating with the same polarity by touching the battery against the amp end if a speaker cable. In this case check that all the cones move in the same direction at the same time. Usually with the positive pole of the battery touching the tip of the plug the cones should move out away from the magnet.

6. Lewis Young

Lewis Young

Oct 16, 2014
    Thanks,,,,,I did what you said. One of the leads where off. Sounds great now....