Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Onesidezero, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Just picked up this baby from Bass NW (real nice guys):
    [​IMG]

I also have an 8ohm Avatar 4x10, and since this SWR is 8ohms, I figure I can run them in series (daisy-chain them together) for the full 1000 watts at 4ohms from my head. BUT, I was wondering, what connections does the SWR have? Just 1/4"? Speakons would be nice, but I think the Goliath II is a little old for those. :D But anyway, does anyone know what connectors the Goliath II has, and which ones would be safest for bridging? Thanks guys. :)

2. 1/4 phone Input jack
    1/4 phone Parallel Output jack
    and
    Banana Input only.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    As it was already written, the Goliath II has two 1/4 in. jacks and a banana jack. All three are connected in parallel so I wouldn't worry about which one you plug into.

To be techically correct, when you daisy chain the cabinets they'll be in parallel and the resulting nominal impedance of the two 8 ohm cabinets will be 4 ohms (or so).

Unless your amp is really, really powerful, you can connect them in any order...I've examined the insides of both the Goliath and Avatar cabinets and it really wouldn't make that much difference. If you're running high power, I guess it would be best to plug into the Goliath's banana jack first, then run 1/4 to 1/4 speaker cable to the Avatar...that way you've minimized the number of phone plugs used in your speaker connections.

If you're going to stack your cabinets, I'd say put the Goliath on the bottom since it's tuned lower (I measured in the low 32 - 33 Hz range) and probably has less mid range output. The present mids of the Avatar will be closer to ear level and you'll hear yourself better.