Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath III Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EString, Aug 20, 2001.

1. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I would love to hear anyone's opinions or criticisms on the SWR Goliath III because I am considering getting one.
    I have heard some good things about it, but I have heard some bad things about it too (not nearly as loud as it claims to be, no midrange, etc.).
    Don't bother with any criticisms about the tweeter, I don't use 'em anyways.

2. They seem to work well enough for hundreds of the top players in the world. If there has ever been a 410 thats earned its rep as the standard for pro quality its got to be the Goliath. Jeez! man where you been?

3. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    They're KILLER. May I suggest 2?

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    excellent 4x10, one of the if not THE best cabs on the market, IMO.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    What does he mean by that?

Also, the previous generation of Mesa/Boogie bass cabs used PAS speakers, as does the current SWR line. Does this mean the SWRs will sound similar to the Mesa/Boogies? I hope so.

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    FREAKAPOTAMOUS9,
    No offense dude, but I've got strings older than you! Play LOTS of stuff and then see if you still think they're the best. The Goliath I and II kicked the III's ASS!

7. Hey old man, maybe your hearing got much worse after the 2 was released, right before the Goliath 3 came out? I think the Goliath 3 kicks ass.

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    DISCO,
    Well then.........when you're old enough to get a job and save up the dough for the Goliath III, then you can put it in your little red wagon and pull it home from Guitar Center! Just ask Mom and Dad first, in case THEY want the money in your savings account instead.
    GEEK

9. pourboy

pourboy

Mar 11, 2001
    Boston, Mass.
    I too am thinking about picking up one of these cabinets. I wondering though, what is the general price range? I'm going to try and shop around, but I don't want to get the shaft.

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Musicians Friend has 'em for $799.99, so the range you'll find out there is probably about a hundred more to a hundred less.

11. Have you tried Bass Northwest, the site is www.bassnw.com, they sell things cheaper than MusiciansFriend or Mars, sometimes a hundred to hundred and twenty dollar cheaper. I found out that the Eden WT-400 is $140 cheaper in Bass Northwest. So check em out.

12. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i have one and i think its great!!:)

13. So the account can be closed the day before you turn 18!

14. I think GibsonGeek is right. I have a new Goliath III Jnr, and my friends Goliath II Jnr blows it.

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Goliath 3 is not bad , but cannot compare to ACME, and I did not use the Goliath any more, the tweeter sound is so rough, try compare both side by side and pop yr string , damn rough, Acme sound is more natural too

16. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    J.S.,
    I think the ACME sounds better overall, but it's a bit too polite for my tastes. I had one for a SHORT time and found the lows weren't nearly as big as peoples claims. Not bad though.

17. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    The acme requires a lot of juice from your amp, but they sound fine. Goliath 3's sound great compared to goliath 2's (I have played with both) Good luck finding a goliath 1 in good condition, but they are fine as well, but the power rating is much less then the goliath 2 and 3. Your best buy would be the goliath 2's at 400 a piece.

18. All this jealousy just because I still have my youth and you don't? Sad.

19. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States

:rolleyes: