SWR Goliath Jr. II Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbass-chicago, May 18, 2007.

1. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi,

A friend of mine had an SWR Goliath Jr II cabinet he was looking to sell. The only problem with it is that the crossover network needs to be replaced. So I picked it up from him. All the speakers work, and the thing sounds awesome, even without the tweeter.

As I was packing the cabinet into the car, I asked him how many ohms the cabinet was. He didn't know.

I have an 8 Ohm cabinet and now this one. I want to know the impedance of the cabinet, but there are no markings on the backs speakers, not even the tweeter. The back plate of the cabinet doesn't say.

Anyone familiar with the cabinets? Is there a test I can try? I'm pretty sure that running a meter across the leads of the speaker won't tell me anything.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

2. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    So they only made it in 4 Ohms? Well, that's convenient! Thanks!

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003

Yep, only 4 ohms.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I've seen them in 8 ohms before.

Get a cheap multimeter at radioshack, lowes, Home depot, etc and measure DC resistance. If you get something around 6.2 it's an 8 ohm cab. If you get something around 3 it's a 4 ohm cab.

5. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Not ONLY - I have an 8ohm Goliath Jr.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  7. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    It will tell you the DC resistance of the voice coil, which is always a little bit less than the 'nominal' impedance of the cab.

Asad

8. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    2.7 Ohms. Thanks for the tip!

Hey, everybody -- I really appreciate all the replies. Thanks!

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    The Goliath Jr II were only 4 ohms. The Goliath Jr III were either 4 or 8 ohms. That being said, I bought a Goliath Jr II that I assumed was 4 ohms but discovered the person had replaced the speakers making it an 8 ohm cab.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    4 ohms only, but you can rewire it to 16, which depending on what your 8 ohm cab is may be a better call (do you want your other cab to carry 2/3 of the signal, or do you want the goliath to carry 2/3 of the signal?).

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021