Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath JR II vs.III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Aug 9, 2003.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK, besides the fact that the II is rear ported and the III is front ported anyone hear much difference between the two? I am in the process of re vamping my small portable rig and have decide a couple of Goliath Jr's will do the trick. Also if I happen to get one of each (a II and a III) will it be ok to run them together being one is front and one is rear ported or will this cause my rig to fly off the stage like a pinwheel;)

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    use the keyword search on "goliath" . there was a guy back a while ago talking about different versions of goliath. it might have been the "I" and the "III" and someone said they liked the older versions tone? search it out.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned both versions. The II is a less focused sounding cabinet. That is not necessarily a bad thing. It sounds great with upright bass.

The II is more punchy sounding than the II. I prefer the III.

Chuck

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sorry the discussion I was referring to was about eh 410, I think. anyway have you considered Aguilar? Everyone seems to rave about the GS-112, maybe there Gs-210 sound good. they say the 112 is deeper than most other 12s?

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Not sure I'd be happy with 12's. Yeah I'm sure the aguilar 210 sounds great but I've heard several bass rigs lately with one or two Goliath Jr's and have been blown away everytime. Not sure if I was listening to the II or II though. The last one I heard had the black grill on it instead of the silver so I think it was a II. anyone use one of each at the same time? just curious. keep the opinions coming.:cool:

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I had Jr.s that were IIs. I upgraded to 2 Goliath IIIs but missed that Jr. so I got a III. Definite improvement as the port is the IIs put out a lot of bass if their is a wall behind which isn't always the case, as the III is firing forward it is capable of more low bass. They also can handle more watts. If you get one or two stack them on their sides an they project better and sound better. If you like 2x10s steer clear of the Ag GS112. I also own one and I have found it is so much slower then the Jr.s that I was hurting my hands trying to get that quickness. I use it for upright as it slowly blooms. It does make Fenders sound fat.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    They all sound good though. Some IIIs had black grills.

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think the IIs had the more cloth mesh-like grille and they introduced the metal grid grille with the III series. First they were the gray fleck, then they were chromed.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't think the goliath jr. can produce THAT much thrust! :p

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I just looked at the SWR site and the mkI had the cloth looking screen. the II had the black diamond steel screen. and the III has the square hole chrome grill.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've had both and I prefer the II's instead. The III's sounded real harsh and really didn't hold any power for a suppose 700 watt cabinet as advertised plus I thought the II's just had a real sweet and musical tone

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The II is warmer, fatter, sweeter, and quieter. The III is harder/drier sounding with more mids and highs, more clarity, and more output. For tone I prefer the II with most basses.

14. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have the 4x10 boxes, one II and one III. They sound a lot different and I find that I like the III better.

15. I've had both Gol. Jr. II & III. IMO, the II has a little more ragged sound; the III a little more refined. By slim margins, the II is a better stand-alone cab, but the III is easier to carry with 1 hand (must be due to the handle location as they're close to the same weight). The II was only built in 4 ohm.

The SWR pro series 210 cabs are hard to beat for the price/weight/sound ratio (MHO, of course). I occasionally play in the house band for the blues jam in town (club holds maybe 120 people max) with only my Gol. III 210 powered by an Alembic F1-X preamp/Carver PM 1200 power amp (1 side, 450 watts) and to my ears it sits well in the mix with all the various players through the course of the night.

Also: I agree with whoever said that if you like the SWR 210 cabs, you might not like the Aggie gs112. I had one; it was OK, but I didn't like it well enough to buy a 2nd one, which is what I had hoped for (I owned and felt the same way about the Epi 112 as well) .

Once again, MHO.

16. Oh yeah...the II has an expanded metal grill, the III has a stamped-sheet metal grill: early ones were painted gray, newer ones are chrome.

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Wow, this really is an old thread. But since it popped up here again I might as well update as to how things turned out.
    I ended up getting 2 Goliath Jr. II's. I used an Ampeg pre/power amp set up with them. They sounded great at low and medium volumes but had problems when I pushed them to loud volume especially with the low notes on 5 string. I eventually sold them and went with the Aguilar GS112's which do handle the louder volume and have no problem with low B. I do kind of miss having 10's in my rig though.