1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Goliath Jr III replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thombo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    First off- I don't know much about speakers and I don't pretend to. I've been searching the interwebs (including TB) all day.

My situation- I have two SWR Goliath Jr III cabs. On speaker has a broken lead, and the other three have varying degrees of cone creases (farting really badly). Honestly, they are not my main cabs and I've never liked the tone: I use them for situations where an Ampeg 8x10 is completely, totally, absolutely impractical. SWR replacement drivers are not worth the money to me.

Does anyone have experience or informed suggestions on replacement speakers? While I don’t expect a unequivocal answer, I am hoping for a few starting points.
    FWIW, it would be great if the new speakers had tone more similar to an Ampeg 8x10 (I do not use the tweeters at all).
    Also, I would prefer 16 ohm speakers so that I could run two cabs together at 4 ohms, though this isn't essential.

2. I think they used Eminence bp102 derived speakers for awhile. They come in 4 and 8 ohm, the 4 ohm might be what you want. Measure the box and porting to see if Eminence standard ported box matches.

3. You've got a PM.

4. You could get them reconed?

5. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I spoke to two shops that recone, both said they advise against reconing Goliath speakers- not worth it.
    I am considering eminence legend bp102's or delta 10b's. Thoughts?

6. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    does anyone have experience w/ either Eminence Legend BP102's or Eminence Delta 10A's or B's?

7. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    the link didn't do anything... if you are suggesting i do a search, i did many. it may well have been covered in the past, but none of my searches have yielded particularly helpful results.

8. search eminence goliath replacement.

9. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    sweet, thanks!

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Aside from the bp102, 4 or 16ohm off the shelf 10's are damn near non-existent, I know, I've looked and looked. The only ones I found were either quite highend, expensive stuff, more than you want to pay, and a couple bottom of the barrel cheap stuff that might not be worth paying for. bp102 is good at what it does, deep lows, but doesn't have much for mid or upper content, sounds fairly dark on it's own and is best used in conjunction with a mid driver. If you like a darker sound, you might like them, otherwise, not so much.

11. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    What about the Delta's for a 2-10 or 4-10.. may need to replace 2 in at least one cab.. is swr 2-10 looks like budget version and horn is bad.. so prolly wouldn't like the bp102's either
    is workingman 8ohm.. think i would prefer it to be a 4ohm so i could run with a 4ohm 4-10