Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath Jr lll 210 vs Gallien-Krueger 210RBH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I ordered a Gallien-Krueger 700RB ll with a Gallien-Krueger 210RBH cab, and while I'm waiting for them to arrive, GC lent me a GK 400RB with a SWR Goliath Jr lll 210 cab. The first cab they gave me didn't work, but after exchanging them I played them tonight with my new Warwick Thumb and the cab absolutely freaking rocks! What an amazing sound. I can't imagine how good the 700RB will sound! Here's my dilemma. I love the sound (and look) of the SWR cab so much that I am tempted to call GC and cancel my order for the GK cab and keep the SWR. Have any of you experience with both cabs and what would you suggest. I'm so happy with it I think why fix it? Does it seem silly to have a GK head with an SWR cab?

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    If I were you I would go on ahead and demo the GK cab. I bet you keep the SWR, I used to have a Goliath III (the 4x10) and thoroughly enjoyed it while I had it. It was just more than I want ed to have to lift.

Oh, and my 700RBII sounded excellent through it.

:)

Joe.

3. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Thanks Joe. It's really helpful that you know both my bass and my amp! :D I did try the other GK cab in the store, but it was only the 200w one with the 400RB. The tone was sweet but this SWR just rocks my world.

Thing is, I checked out the 210RBH 400w and I really don't like the shape. It looks awkward and unwieldly. I thought it would look like the 200w version but it's completely different and resembles a foldback monitor. I know I shouldn't really take into consideration how an amp looks, but when you're spending $600 on something you want to look at it and say "yeah that rocks". Of course if the SWR sounded like crap I wouldn't have even considered it, but the fact was it was awesome! The SWR is 46lbs and that's a lot nicer than the 69lbs I had to lift with my Crate. It looks so happy and comfortable sitting in my living room. I haven't the heart to send it back! :D

4. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hey...if the SWR rocks your world you know what you gotta do! I don't blame you a bit.

And you know what? I care about how my stuff looks. If I didn't like the way something I had looked I know that I wouldn't use it nearly as much as I would if I liked the way it looked. Strange but true.

If you are happy with the weight, like the way it looks, love the way it sounds AND it will do the job...you got a winner!

Congrats!

Ohh yeah!

:)

Joe.

p.s. How do you get theose danged smileys to work? Whever I do it they come up as html gobbledygook.

5. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I think you're right joe. I'm just not used to something actually working right! LOL.

Hey, I'm the smiley queen! I have millions of them. Maybe your forum preferences aren't set up to use UBB coding. Check in your Edit Options section to see if you have Show Images (including attached images and images in [​IMG]

6. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

Hmm...I must just be doing something wrong. I have that option checked.

Hey, whats that smiley face at the TOP of the editor for?

AHA!!!!!

:hyper:

Jeez, Im such an idiot. :rollno:

Thanks!!!

:D

Joe.