Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath Junior II: 2x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dees, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Anyone experience with these cabs? I'm looking a for a portable cab to go with my EBS Fafner, and just saw this one 2nd hand.
    I'd also like to use the cab together with my EBS 410 cab, both are 4 ohm if i'm not mistaking. Will this work?
    thanks in advance

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    cool cabinet. i always liked em. they're not as hip and new as soem of the boutique cabs out there but they are still darned good. they are 4 ohms. as long as your amp can handle a 2 ohm load, or is stereo and can handle 4 ohms per side, you can use the 2 cabs together. lots of people (myself included) have used 4x10 and 2x10 cabs of equal impedance on the same amp with great results.

FWIW, 250 is fair for that cab. used goliath 2 4x10's are going for 365 and falling, i wouldnt pay more than 250 for a 2 jr.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What IvanMike said. I used a pair of Goliath Jr. III cabinets as my main gig rig for awhile. They had good tone and volume, and were as portable as any 2x10 I've encountered.

I've since replaced the SWR's with a Bergantino 2x10/1x15 stack because they sound flatter and smoother, but the Bergs are larger, heavier, and spendier.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've seen Goliath II Jr's going for $200-$250 lately. A steal! which is why I'm keeping mine. I'm not going to sell them that cheap. Anyway I use two of them for my small, portable setup. They sound great and are pretty loud but they don't like to be pushed too hard especially on low notes. I think paring one with a 4 ohm 410 cab would work great.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just to make a factual correction, the Jrs are available in both 4 and 8 ohm configurations.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the goliath III jr's are available in 4 and 8 ohms

the goliath II jr's were only available in 4 ohms

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I prefer all II series stuff to the III's. When I a/b'd a Junior III 2x10 to a WM 2x10, i couldn't tell that much difference. Same with the 15's. But Junior II's and Goliath II's sound amazing IMO. I like the SWR sound, I was thinking of just upgrading my cabs to more SWR, but i'm digging 12" speakers atm, and i'm not sure what the SWR 4x12 is like... and neither do many other people, anyone know?

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I certainly stand corrected. You learn something new every day. ;-)

9. thanks all:)
    But I pan to use it mostly as a single cab, for rehearsals and maybe small gigs.
    I play mainly rock-style and metal (in a metal band)

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey, that's what the site is for
    i've learned a ton of stuff here, about a third of it by being corrected when i said something erroneous

i second the preference for the original 1 and 2 series of swr cabs. i hadda chance to buy a couple of jr 2's for 250 each but couldnt at the time. that still ticks me off.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    IvanMike
    check your pm